WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Screen reader Forms Mode as Only Interaction Method?

for

Date: Mar 3, 2017 7:32AM

I have a related question about forms. What do you think about tooltips in forms? I'm talking specifically about little question mark icons that ask and then answer some anticipated question about the reason for asking a question or about how to go about answering the question. I have a number of problems with them:

1. I didn't even think about this previously, but I can see the value of staying in forms mode throughout the completion of a form, so a tooltip requires switching to browse mode.

2. If you think someone needs to know something, why not just put it in plain text? Why make them do a little dance with an icon to get the information?

3. They are almost never coded accessibly to start with, and they are often coded in such a way that it is harder to make them accessible than if they were designed to be accessible from the beginning.

4. They tend to be enclosed by the label element, which just seems all kind of wrong to me: <label for="ss_number>Social Security Number <a href="tooltip_javascript">Why do we need this?</a></label>

Anyone have any thoughts on tooltips in forms?

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.