WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Screen reader Forms Mode as Only Interaction Method?

for

Date: Mar 3, 2017 8:56AM

1. I didn't even think about this previously, but I can see the value of staying in forms mode throughout the completion of a form, so a tooltip requires switching to browse mode.
Not all the time you have to switch to browse mode. If you use ARIA along with proper semantic, you can achieve the desired output while remaining in forms mode.

2. If you think someone needs to know something, why not just put it in plain text? Why make them do a little dance with an icon to get the information?
How can you put a link in plain text? Personally, I don't like links in a form as they are not a form element.

3. They are almost never coded accessibly to start with, and they are often coded in such a way that it is harder to make them accessible than if they were designed to be accessible from the beginning.
Welcome to HTML improper semantic.

4. They tend to be enclosed by the label element, which just seems all kind of wrong to me: <label for="ss_number>Social Security Number <a href="tooltip_javascript">Why do we need this?</a></label>
That's where I recommend for developer to segregate the link from the label. Again, if it can be done, it does not mean that it should be done. Doing it causes improper semantic.

Anyone have any thoughts on tooltips in forms?
As I stated above:
A. Ensure that the developer is using proper semantic. I cannot stress this enough. Unless the developer has a strong argument as to why improper semantic was used, I refuse to accept it.
B. Although I try to use less ARIA and more proper semantic, remember that you are in a form and the word dynamic should remain in your mind. So using some ARIA to provide a better UX is fair enough.