WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Self-Publishing With Screen Reader Question

for

Date: Jul 11, 2017 1:42PM

I don't know the answer to your question, but ... I run a bunch of lists for the National Federation of the Blind, NFB. One of our lists is for blind writers, and I know some of them have self-published. You could join the list, and ask there. The url to join is:

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/stylist_nfbnet.org

or send e-mail to <EMAIL REMOVED> and put subscribe on subject line.

I have a friend who publishes on Smash Words, but I think she uses screen enlargement software, not a screen reader.

Dave

David Andrews | Chief Technology Officer
Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development
State Services for the Blind
2200 University Ave West, Suite 240, St. Paul MN 55114
Direct: 651-539-2294
Web | Twitter | Facebook

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of David Russell
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:33 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Self Publishing With Screen Reader Question

Dear Forum Members:
I would like to ask any of the forum membership for input on the ease and current status for persons with a vision impairment to self publish a manuscript on one of the popular online venues using one of the widely known screen readers.
Is it known if sites such as Smashwords or Amazon, offer sufficient information for a person to use that site's directives and then initiate self publishing from start to finish with little to no outside assistance?

It seems the one major requirement sites offering self-publishing services, is that the author produce their files in MS Word, and in some cases a specified version. Also, a second important facet is the ability to make links for a Table of Contents especially if eBook.

Again, I welcome input on this as one who is a blind author about to self-publish. My tech qualifications are at best beginner level. Thank you.

--