WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Alt key to reveal keyboard shortcuts?

for

Date: Jul 14, 2017 7:09AM

You might be able to make the feature work if you used another key like control.

However, you would want to execute the feature in a way where pressing control would display the information, but not prevent the browser from executing any keyboard commands that involve the control key. I think that is likely to be possible using javascript.

I would also think you would need to find a way to let users know this functionality exists. Additionally, this approach would work well for those who perceive things visually, it wouldn't work so well for those who don't perceive things visually or who have limited visual fields. In the first situation, you probably need some way to inform people who use screen readers what the keyboard commands are. That might also go for people with limited vision who use magnification--since the only visual indicators they would likely see would be those that are currently magnified.

Thanks,
Tim
-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of JP Jamous
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:09 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Alt key to reveal keyboard shortcuts?

Rachel,

I have a big NO about that particular key. Even if you get it to work with some JavaScript, the Alt key is by default the menu key for all Windows applications including browsers. That is why I highly discourage you, because you created a blocker on your site for me to access my browser menus.

You can try another key or a combination such as CTRL + 1 or Alt + 1. This way, you are not tampering with Windows default shortcut keys.

I also like to add numbers rather than letters, because CTRL + p is a browser shortcut to print the page. CTRL + c is to copy. So to avoid any conflicts, Alt + 0 or 9 or 7 would be best as browsers and most Windows applications do not use numbers along with the Alt or CTRL keys.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of R Sengers
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:44 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Alt key to reveal keyboard shortcuts?

We want to implement keyboard shortcuts on a web app for users who are using keyboard instead of mouse to move around to different parts of the page. We'd like to let users know what keyboard shortcuts are available on the page.

We're considering doing this: when user hits ALT key, the web page reveals all the keyboard shortcuts that are available on the page. When user releases the ALT key, they disappear.

Do you foresee any issues with this plan? Do you know if the Alt key (by itself) already in use for other purposes by any common browsers, OS's, or assistive technologies?

Thanks!
Rachel Sengers

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com