WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WCAG and role="presentation"

for

Date: Aug 23, 2017 6:54AM

I would call out a page for a table containing non-tabular data.

The role of presentation strips an element of its semantic meaning (essentially converting it to the equivalent of a non-semantic container like a div or span). The semantic meaning of elements is an important part of accessibility, particularly actionable elements. Use of the correct semantic element provides information about the type of information presented, and how the element can be successfully interacted with. I'm not always a "slippery slope" kind of guy, but once you start to erode the trust in the semantic information you present, the user really doesn't know what to expect and must take the extra time and energy to determine if elements are actually what they are presenting themselves to be, and if those elements actually behave as expected.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Peter Shikli
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:33 PM
To: WebAIM Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] WCAG and role="presentation"

My question is whether it is a violation to not use role="presentation" on elements which are used for presentation purposes only, such as tables. I realize we should use it for decorative tables, but is it a requirement for a Level AA rating per WCAG Success Guideline 1.3.1 "Info and Relationships"?

Understanding WCAG 2.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/ states that when possible, information presented visually should also be made available programmatically. Many examples are given, but I would like some clarification specifically on the use of WAI-ARIA's role="presentation."

Sincerely,
Peter Shikli
<EMAIL REMOVED>
503-570-6831
FAX: 213-337-7029
Access2online
29030 SW Town Center Loop East
Suite 202-187
Wilsonville, OR 97070
www.Access2online.com
Prison inmates helping websites become accessible

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.