WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Alternative to the Title attribute in Links

for

Date: Aug 25, 2017 2:03PM

A warning about aria-label (and aria-labelledby): they are greedy. Which is to say, they don't concatenate with other possible accessible name strings. So:

<a href="#" aria-label="Opens in a separate window">edit my details</a>

will just read out as "link opens in a separate window"

You could use aria-described by, like

<a href="/en/home?order=field_data_holding&amp;sort=asc" aria-describedby="link_details" class="active">Data Holding</a>

<div id="link_details"> sort by Data Holding</div>

However, I have had this ominous feeling about the title attribute as well, but in an earlier thread it was established that my mistrust was misplaced. Title is a legitimate tool for constructing an accessible name.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Sarah Jevnikar
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2017 3:54 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Alternative to the Title attribute in Links

Hi again,
I've come across the use of the Title attribute to provide extra information for links, but have read in several places that this is a bad idea. I can't seem to find any alternatives though (on Google, anyway). What else would achieve the same goal? would it be a matter of just changing the link text? Is Aria label a better way to go? Would that work for non-SR users as well? I'm conscious of the fact that most are not.

The code I'm looking at is thus:

<a href="/en/home?order=field_data_holding&amp;sort=asc" title="sort by Data Holding" class="active">Data Holding</a> </th>

Except with NVDA and IE 11 (I'm testing with JFW, Chrome, IE, Firefox and iOS), I'm hearing "Data Holding; sort by data holding", which is what I'd hope to hear.

Thanks again,
Sarah
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.