WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Native Mobile Solution For Something That Acts LikePlaceholder

for

Date: Sep 12, 2017 12:23PM

> I'm assuming, but can't prove to myself that the app I'm looking at is really native. I don't have enough tools to tell me this. So I guess this makes two points to contend with. I can just say that this app may be native, so I'm asking the question from that point of view.

If you use the rotor and you hear web related things you are in a webview -- if you don't you are not.

> The question is that if the developer says they are using whatever this is that acts like a placeholder to save visual real estate on a small screen, what can I suggest for visible labels on native IOS and Android they can do to satisfy the requirement?

You can suggest that once the field is focused -- a small label appears at that time using the float label technique that is used on the web. One the field has text it in the new smaller label that appeared now stays until the field is emptied and focus has left.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
(703) 637-8957
<EMAIL REMOVED>
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.