WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Carousel not accessible

for

Date: Jan 15, 2018 1:09PM

From the description it is not clear if space works anywhere on the page or requires a certain control to be focused. Control plus space is likely required because the screen reader is in browse mode and control space is not captured. Shortcuts like this can be problematic because there is no clear method for visual affordance (when no control exists ) or users of screen reader to know the keystroke. Space also provides another function on pages - to scroll except when certain controls are focused.

Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 15, 2018, at 1:24 PM, " <EMAIL REMOVED> " < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> The question here is whether it's normal for screen reader users to need to use the control key to pause/stop/play a carousel. I don't think it is.
>
> Spacebar is almost a universal pattern or interaction for pausing/playing media or timed sequences, by my understanding. Does NVDA and JAWS have something going on which prevents spacebar alone from being used to pause/stop/play? Do JAWS and NVDA require developers to code it in a way which requires a modifier key such as control plus spacebar?
>
>
> Rob C
>
>
>
>> On Jan 15, 2018, at 10:35 AM, Gurpreet kaur < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>
>> Hi accessibility experts,
>>
>> We have a carousel with auto play functionality on website. As far as we know that the behavior for the screen reader user is that " when carousel comes in focus, space should be used to play/ pause the carousel". But in our carousel, space alone is not pausing or playing the carousel. We have to use control key along with space to perform the function. This is an issue with NVDA and JAWS both.
>>
>> Without screen reader, we are able to use space key alone.
>>
>> So my question is, Is this behavior acceptable according to WCAG requirements? We need some direction.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gurpreet
>>
>> >> >> >> > > > >