WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: couple of questions

for

Date: Feb 6, 2018 8:07AM

Technically regarding Section508 compliance, even the Access Board and Homeland Security see weird about the use of JAWS. Sometimes JAWS cannot parse Aria labels (this is detailed in JAWS changelogs) or has issues with tables. Now, using NVDA might be great and it parses- or parses a bit differently... but it doesn't mean the underlying code isn't fine. These inconsistencies drift in the sea of the net and get dragged out into the glaring sun.

I say TECHNICALLY because even though the Access Board etc says this, obviously I would test to see if keyboard controls work as expected, if AT/other screens work, if there are known issues with the reader....and so on. Things can be in compliance and not actually be useful/accessed, after all.

-Kit

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 9:39 AM, Terzian, Sharon < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hi
> I have to adapt a PDF that came from a Power Point to be ADA compliant (I know how to do it, this was outsourced to me).
>
> If the Power Point was ADA to begin with (tagged/ordered correctly, etc) would it automatically be okay when converted/saved to a PDF (it's a nightmare in PDF and I can get it as Power Point file if it helps)?
> They also will be translating it to several languages so I thought that if it's fine in Power Point, that part would be easier/less time consuming as well.
>
> A Colleague uses a program called Articulate - Story Lines (https://articulate.com/award-winning-storyline-360) to create interactive learning modules. When she started using it, I spent time on the phone with the vendor, who initially sold it as being ADA and it's not (JAWS can't read it, essentially it ends up being a fancy flash file and if I try and adjust the backend HTML code, it won't work), and after our conversation, they admitted it wasn't.
>
> Are there any true compliant course module creators out there that you know of?
> Also, just in case not, I'm looking into other screen readers for less money. Is JAWS still the be all and end all as far as having documents/websites work well with it?
> I found NVDA and a friend mentioned ZoomText.
>
> Thank you all,
>
> Sharon Terzian
> Webmistress/Accessible Content/Sherlock Center
> Adjunct Professor/CIS/College of Business
> Rhode Island College
> www.sherlockcenter.org
>
>
> > > >