WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Heading Structure for Documents

for

Date: Mar 9, 2018 8:15AM

I have a tagged PDF tutorial on creating a TOC and a custom TOC with keyboard commands and sample documents with various types of TOC's including a TOC for each chapter in a document:
http://www.karlencommunications.com/OfficeForWindowsAccessibility.html

Once on the webpage, get a list of links and then press C for Customize a Table of Contents.

The tutorial takes you through using the Options button and the Modify button in the TOC dialog. Everything is keyboard command based.

There are other tutorials with sample documents for more advanced document components as well.

Cheers, Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:55 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Heading Structure for Documents

On 2018-03-08 12:01, Wolfgang Berndorfer wrote:
> Phil, your solution sounds perfect for me. Yet I've to find the Word
> functionalities to realize the TOC as you proposed.

In the Custom Table of Contents dialog, there is an Options button that takes you to a listing where you can assign a TOC level to particular styles.

In the Word 2013 for Windows version that I have in front of me right now, I can get to the main "Table of Contents Dialog General" with the following keystrokes:
[ALT] then [S] then [T] then [C]
And to open the Options dialog from there, press:
[ALT]+[O] together

Here is a longer explanation of shortcuts: [ALT] to activate single keystroke shortcuts, then [S] to get to the References tab in the ribbon, then [T] to get to the Table of Contents drop-down, then [C] to select Custom Table of Contents, which opens the Table of Contents dialog. Then [Alt]+[O] activates the Options button.

So, at that point, I have a Table of Contents Options dialog box that has opened up on top of the main Table of Contents dialog. Within that Table of Contents Options dialog, you can awkwardly use the TAB, SHIFT + TAB, and UP and DOWN arrow keys to navigate entry boxes beside each Available Style. The numbers you enter represent the TOC level. A blank entry means to not include that style in the Table of Contents.

Mmmmm...quickly testing this now with NVDA, I can't actually figure out how to get it to read the style names - it identifies them as "Style 1", "Style 2", "Style 3", etc, instead of "Balloon Text", "Footer", "Header", "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc. And while I can get to the rest of the headings using a scroll mouse, if I try to get there with keyboard only, it appears that you have to TAB a 7th time to get to the scroll bar and then use the cursor to scroll down and then SHIFT + TAB to get back. But then the form entries are all identified again as Style
1 through Style 6 even though there are a whole new set of styles showing.

It seems to be a very weird input form.

Maybe a regular screen reader user can figure out how to get that Options dialog to behave?

> But: How do you create an additional Heading 2 just for the TOC, which
> not appears in the Word-generated TOC, but in the heading list of my
> screen reader?

Once you have a new style based on Heading 2, it will show up in the "Available Styles" list, and then you can simply leave the corresponding "TOC level" for that style blank. And it won't show up in your custom Table of Contents when you regenerate it.

Phil.