WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Google Lighthouse with a screen reader?

for

Date: May 16, 2018 6:00AM

That worked a treat Kelly! Thanks so much!

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of KellyFord
Sent: 16 May 2018 12:32
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] [EXTERNAL] Google Lighthouse with a screen reader?

Hi,

The other tabs have to be scrolled into view. It took me a bit to figure this out because I too kept reading about these other tabs that I was never finding and they were not listed with JAWS VPC or NVDA Browse mode.

I'm not sure what screen reader you are using but try toggling off the web reading mode, tabbing to the list of tabs and then pressing right arrow. You can also try left arrow once focus is on the tab list. In your case, after you reach performance, you should hear that a menu has appeared. That lists the other tabs. Arrow through those and you should get audit.

Another way to reach this is to use what I believe the Google Dev tools call the command menu. In my experience this method works best if you first toggle off the web reading mode of a screen reader before opening the dev tools. Then do this from where you want to run the audit.

1. Press F12 to open the dev tools.
2. Press ctrl+shift+p to bring up the command menu. It isn't really a menu but a list of items you can do in the dev tools. Focus should be in an edit box. It isn't really named correctly and you will probably hear it called something like Panel Show Application because that is the first item after the edit box.
3. Enter audit in the edit box. In my experience entering just aud is enough to limit the list appropriately. You should hear Panel Show Audit.
4. Press enter. The Audit tab should appear with focus on the Run Audit button. Again this part all works best if you have turned off the web reading mode.
5. Just run the audit and don't worry about toggling off certain tests. They don't take that long.
6. Once you have activated the run audit button, turn back on the web reading mode of the screen reader. There will be some status messages as the different tests run and finally the report.

If I can give any other info, please let me know.

Kelly

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:53 AM

Thanks for such an in-depth answer Kelly, but I don't have an Audits tab, and Ctrl+[ or Ctrl+] don't do anything.
My tabs are: Elements, console, sources, network, performance.

If I select the Elements tab, a new tab strip appears with:
Styles, Event listeners, DOM break points, Properties, Accessibility.

If I select the Accessibility tab, I get three treeviews containing little or no useful information.

There's lots of unlabelled buttons and textboxes scattered everywhere. I can't make sense of this UI at all. I'm finding this very frustrating as I need to run an accessibility audit against a single-page application in its various states, which will require writing a clumsy path-based test scenario if I can't get this potentially really useful tool working.

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of KellyFord
Sent: 15 May 2018 17:26

Hi,

Here is how I access Lighthouse with a screen reader in Chrome. There may be faster ways so suggestions welcome. I do this with both JAWS and NVDA.

1. Open the dev tools with F12.
2. Press ctrl+[ or ctrl+] to cycle through the tabs. That's control and left or right bracket. Note you can also tab to the list of tabs and press right arrow until you get to Audits. Depending on how many tabs are shown, a menu may appear as you arrow.
3. Use my screen readers jump to button key (typically b) to find the Run Audit button.
4. Check the boxes for which audits I want to run and launch the audit.

When reading the results, the different categories of the report do not have headings so a search for accessibility as an example is the fastest way for me to find that section in the report. I can then expand the different problem sections and failing elements. From the screen reading web mode (JAWS virtual PC or NVDA Browse mode) I can press enter on the failing element. This seems to shift back to the Elements tab and scroll/expand the DOM tree to the problem element.

To get back to the audit report, I have to press the ctrl+[ or ctrl+] keys again until I'm back on the correct tab. Perhaps there is a hotkey to select the tab directly but so far I have not found it.

All this said, using the dev tools for me does still require a bit of jumping back and forth between the different screen reading modes. This is true for whatever browser/screen reader combination I've tried.

Kelly

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 10:37 AM

If I were going down the continuous integration route, I'd probably use a headless browser and automate a lot of what we do. But right now all I want to do is to run Lighthouse over a single-page application in its various states and see how it performs. If Lighthouse is accessible, it isnt' obviously so.

Cheers.

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Tim Harshbarger
Sent: 15 May 2018 14:14
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >

Unless you are looking to write code to integrate Google Lighthouse into a continuous integration system, it sounds like you either access Google Lighthouse from Chrome DevTools or the commandline.

If you find Chrome DevTools accessible enough, then you don't need to install Node to use the features. If you prefer to use the command line, you definitely will need to install Node.

I use a screen reader, but it has been a couple months since I tried working with the Chrome DevTools. If I recall correctly, I think I found some things seemed accessible while others weren't. I think I was able to access the audit tab and review the accessibility information provided there.

Thanks,
Tim

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:26 AM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [WebAIM] Google Lighthouse with a screenreader?

Hi all,

Is it possible to use Google Lighthouse with a screenreader without installing NodeJS? I'll do that if I have to, but it's an extra step and I'm lazy.

Cheers.