WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Feedback on a table sort implementation

for

Date: Jun 19, 2018 1:08PM

David, this is excellent information, thanks! I'm not sure how to address some of these oddities, but I can certainly do things like adding a caption.

Swapping the instructional div with a summary attribute also seems to ensure it's always announced, but the summary attribute has been deprecated.... I'm not sure the right approach here - use an obsolete attribute that's likely to go away soon or lose information for a subset of users? And if I use both, it gets announced twice in some situations.

Glen, regarding entering the table: that does make some sense, but it's still a bit odd to me. If there are special instructions for a table that aren't relevant for a specific header or cell, do we just have to hope screen reader users are going to double-check the table? And why is summary (at least in NVDA + Firefox) always announced no matter how I get to the table?

This is tricky.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of David Farough
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 11:43 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Feedback on a table sort implementation

I notice the following differences with this table when using Jaws, NVDA, Firefox 60.2 Google chrom 66 and IE 11.

Ie 11 with Jaws
moving to table with table nav key t
Jaws describes the table with the number of rows and columns. The sort info not provided at all.
Column headings are announced when moving to each cell.
Using control Insert + t to list the tables on the page lists the column headings for the table as well as some of the data from the next row. Had you coded a caption for the table, this information would have been presented instead.

NVDA with IE 11
Nvda describes the table with the number of rows and columns. The sort info not provided at all.
Column headings are announced when moving to each cell.

Firefox 60.2 with Jaws
Jaws describes the table with the number of rows and columns. Then provides the sort info.
Navigating to each cell speaks the cell title as well as "up down arrow button"
Using control Insert + t to list the tables on the page specifies the sort info and then describes the table as 5x74

Firefox 60.2 with NVDA
NVDA describes the table with the number of rows and columns. Then provides the sort info.
Navigating to each cell speaks the cell title but does not include the up down arrow button

Google chrome 66 with Jaws
Jaws describes the table with the number of rows and columns. Then provides the sort info.
Navigating to each cell speaks the cell title but not "up down arrow button"
Using control Insert + t to list the tables on the page specifies the sort info and then describes the table as 5x74

Google chrome 66 with NVDA
NVDA describes the table with the number of rows and columns. Then provides the sort info.
Navigating to each cell will provide the column title as well as the data for that cell. However, for some reason the title heading for column 1 is not provided for that cell.

David Farough

Coordonnateur de l'accessibilité des applications, Services intégrés de gestion des TI Commission de la fonction publique du Canada / Gouvernement du Canada <EMAIL REMOVED> Tél: 819-420-8418 Télécopieur :
819-420-8408

Application Accessibility Co-ordinator, Corporate IT Management Public Service Commission of Canada / Government of Canada <EMAIL REMOVED> Tel: 819-420-8418 / Fax: 819-420-8408

Ce courriel est destiné exclusivement au destinataire mentionné en titre et peut contenir de l'information privilégiée, confidentielle ou soustraite à la communication aux termes des lois applicables. Toute divulgation non autorisée, toute reproduction ou réacheminement est interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce courriel, ou n'êtes pas autorisé par le destinataire visé, ou encore, si vous l'avez reçu par erreur, veuillez le mentionner immédiatement à l'expéditeur et supprimer le courriel et les copies.

This e-mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or re-transmission is prohibited. If you are not a named recipient or not authorized by the named recipient(s), or if you have received this e-mail in error, then please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any copies.