WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WCAG 2.1 - 1.3.5 - How to capture a violation?

for

Date: Jul 25, 2018 6:30AM

At this time it is my understanding that the autocomplete attribute is the only sufficient technique for HTML.
So you could use a favlet such as the one I made at the following page (https://labs.levelaccess.com/index.php/Autocomplete_Attribute_Favlet) to display the autofill attributes. You would need to manually determine if the field needs to have it's purpose communicated programmatically and then if the right autocomplete attribute is used. The accessible name cannot be used to communicate the purpose.

1. Determine if field is related to information for the the user rather than other users or non-user information. Only information about the user is covered.
2. Determine if the purpose is listed in WCAG section 7 input purpose (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#input-purposes)
3. Review the autocomplete attribute if one exists and determine if it is appropriate from the list above.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of pratik roy
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 5:14 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] WCAG 2.1 - 1.3.5 - How to capture a violation?

Hi Everyone,

WCAG introduced this new guideline a part of there 2.1 release to provide more purpose to the input fields. But my question is, how can we capture a violation against this guideline? Beacuse currently there is on faliure technique provided by WCAG.Although, there is a sufficient technique which talks about use of auto-fill attributes in input fields.
But can we capture a violation if that sufficient technique is not followed in a scenario?

Example: In a form, suppose we have two password fields one for current and other one for new password. Purposeful label is provided for both but no auto-fill="{current-password | new-password}". Now the question is, can we capture a violation here?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks & Regards
PRATIK ROY