WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Mobile view different source code order

for

Date: Sep 5, 2018 11:14PM

Hi everyone. I'm giving the developers of a small app feedback on the app's accessibility. One of the main screens has links in groupings to navigate to subpages. They are arranged on the page in a sort of three-column format with text above every three or four links. They made each group of associated links into sections with ARIA labels.
When the browser window is narrow enough that the app goes into Mobile mode, there is a new button that is labeled "menu" that is first in the tab order that opens all of the navigation sections in a sort of side menu. All of the options available on the main page are available in the side menu, but they are in a different order then the options on the main page.
My questions1-- When deciding if a website or application has consistent navigation between pages, are you comparing only all of the mobile versions with other mobile versions, or do things have to match between mobile and regular? 
2-In the mobile mode, when the navigation elements are functioning as a menu, you can't arrow key down into the choices immediately, but have to tab through the entire contents of the page and then it jumps to the second item in the menu. The sections also still exist in the menu, which I think is not the way a menu should be built. Is there ever a time to use headings and sections and buttons inside of a menu? 
Thanks,
Karin Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.