WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: visual scrolling with screen readers

for

Date: Oct 11, 2018 3:19PM

I don't have any solid answer David to any of your questions. It does make sense as to why screen readers would not scroll the page. They are already looping through the DOM and extracting information. It would be quite hard if not impossible for them to know where the visual part is at the bottom of the screen.

I usually inform my audience that if they cannot see where my cursor is to speak up. I then play it by ear based on what I am presenting.

Try to tab if your audience inform you that thy cannot see where you are at. That tends to help in certain situations.

--------------------
JP Jamous
Senior Digital Accessibility Engineer
E-Mail Me |Join My LinkedIn Network
--------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of David Engebretson Jr
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2018 3:58 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] visual scrolling with screen readers

"should" is the optimal word... *smile*

What you describe is what I do but there are intermittent issues. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It looks like the virtual tracker is enabled by default for all browsers. Does NVDA have similar functionality?
I haven't found anything about it in documentation.

Are there certain types of elements that just won't allow a screen reader to virtually and visually track at the same time?

I'm wondering if Fusion might be a good way to go. Fusion wouldn't allow the virtual cursor to not track the visuals, right?

Thanks for your thoughts,
David

Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:13 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] visual scrolling with screen readers

1. Open your browser
2. Press Alt + space bar and maximize it 3. JAWS might lose focus, it's ok.
4. Press Alt + tab to get the focus back on the browser 5. Press CTRL + Home and your sighted audience should be able to follow you

I try to take advantage of the virtual tracker in JAWS which nmakes it easier for sighted users to see where my virtual cursor is in the DOM. I do lots of presentations to sighted audience on regular bases. If the above does not work, then there is a scrolling problem between JAWS and the browser.

--------------------
JP Jamous
Senior Digital Accessibility Engineer
E-Mail Me |Join My LinkedIn Network
--------------------

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of David Engebretson Jr
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2018 2:03 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] visual scrolling with screen readers

I often share my screen reader findings with sighted developers. Sometimes focus is not visually on the screen so the sighted folks don't know where I am on the page.

Is there a prescribed method for jumping visual focus to the same point that screen reader focus is?

In JAWS I thought JAWSKey+ctrl+delete was supposed to do this but it doesn't always work.

Any suggestions for consistently showing where screen reader focus is?

Much appreciated,
David

David Engebretson Jr.
<EMAIL REMOVED>