WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: visual scrolling with screen readers

for

Date: Oct 11, 2018 3:31PM

The JAWS visual tracker is an option in verbosity and is only available on Windows 10.

There is a focus plugin for NVDA that is useful to show where it is.
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/focusHighlight.en.html

Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 11, 2018, at 4:58 PM, David Engebretson Jr < <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >> wrote:

"should" is the optimal word... *smile*

What you describe is what I do but there are intermittent issues. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It looks like the virtual tracker is enabled by default for all browsers. Does NVDA have similar functionality? I haven't found anything about it in documentation.

Are there certain types of elements that just won't allow a screen reader to virtually and visually track at the same time?

I'm wondering if Fusion might be a good way to go. Fusion wouldn't allow the virtual cursor to not track the visuals, right?

Thanks for your thoughts,
David

-----Original Message----- From: JP Jamous
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:13 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] visual scrolling with screen readers

1. Open your browser
2. Press Alt + space bar and maximize it
3. JAWS might lose focus, it's ok.
4. Press Alt + tab to get the focus back on the browser
5. Press CTRL + Home and your sighted audience should be able to follow you

I try to take advantage of the virtual tracker in JAWS which nmakes it easier for sighted users to see where my virtual cursor is in the DOM. I do lots of presentations to sighted audience on regular bases. If the above does not work, then there is a scrolling problem between JAWS and the browser.

--------------------
JP Jamous
Senior Digital Accessibility Engineer
E-Mail Me |Join My LinkedIn Network
--------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >> On Behalf Of David Engebretson Jr
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2018 2:03 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >>
Subject: [WebAIM] visual scrolling with screen readers

I often share my screen reader findings with sighted developers. Sometimes focus is not visually on the screen so the sighted folks don't know where I am on the page.

Is there a prescribed method for jumping visual focus to the same point that screen reader focus is?

In JAWS I thought JAWSKey+ctrl+delete was supposed to do this but it doesn't always work.

Any suggestions for consistently showing where screen reader focus is?

Much appreciated,
David

David Engebretson Jr.
<EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >