WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: [External Sender]scrollable horizontal tabs - functionality?

for

Date: Feb 1, 2019 1:18PM

Basically it's what Brian describes, it's kind of a mashup of tabs and a carousel, w/o any automatic sliding going on. Here's a close example of what our developer did - https://www.bootply.com/l2ChB4vYmC
Our dev did add previous and next buttons to it, pretty much like what you see with carousels, and they're positioned above the tabs. While I can navigate the tabs with the keyboard, it gets a little weird with NVDA. You can get to the controls, after you've tabbed thru all of the tabs, but then it's a real stinker to get back to the actual tabs. It'll switch back and forth between the previous and the next, so it seems trapped there. I managed to get out of the buttons after I back-tabbed out of the "next" button, but that took going back and forth between the two a couple of times before even that worked.

So, a SR user can navigate the tabs, the thing with the buttons bothers me though. Maybe I'm making more of it than I need to?

Thanks,
Diane R Tomlins
HCA Healthcare | Accessibility SME

>I've seen this before. If it's what I think it is, it is a set of tabs that is then displayed in a horizontally scrollable container, presumably because it is wider than the >available space. As long as the entire set of tabs is accessible, and there aren't any carousel type controls on the container, I don't see where any further action is >needed.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 2:15 PM Graham Armfield < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

> Hello Diane,
>
> Could you amplify what you mean by 'scrollable' horizontal tabs.
>
> Is this actually a tab panel? If so I'm wondering where the scrolling
> comes in.
>
> Or perhaps you are referring to a 'carousel' or 'slider' - a series of
> panels with images or text that may advance automatically, but may
> also have blobs which allow user to jump to a specific panel?
>
> If you could clarify, then we can ensure to give you the best advice.
>
> Regards
> Graham Armfield
>
>