WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: More Adobe Acrobat Accessibility Errors

for

Date: Apr 4, 2019 1:38PM

I haven't had problems with EN-CA. I notice that when I use the Word/Microsoft conversion tool the primary language for the document I'm working on is English which is correct. You always want to have a generic language identified as the primary language (or on any Tags in a multilingual document) so that if a localized version of the language is not supported, the person can use their default generic language synthesizer/voice.

It also lets someone listen to the document with pronunciations they are used to hearing. For example, I use Eloquence with the British voice. If I have to listen to content using different pronunciations (for example American English), it takes me quite a while to understand what I'm reading and I imagine the same can be said for those using American English as their default synthesizer language who may have to listen to British pronunciations.

Maybe this is a change Word to snag a generic language and the Adobe conversion tool hasn't caught up to this yet. I would still think that they should be able to snag the language from somewhere in the document.

Cheers, Karen