WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: has anyone done remote training for ios voiceover? (via zoom preferred)

for

Date: Aug 9, 2019 10:34AM

Glenn,

I am also doing some remote Ios training using zoom, and I/our team has an Epson webcam with stand that sits about 1 foot above the IPhone. We had to play with the screen brightness level on the phone so the picture wouldn't be washed out. I believe we settled on a brightness setting of about 6%.

We also took a cardboard box, and placed the webcam and phone in it to cut down on glare from external sources. To make things easier sinceI am blind and to ensure the camera is positioned directly over the phone we created a template from another piece of cardboard with a cutout for the phone. The template is taped in place so when I put the phone in the cutout it is directly under the camera.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2019 1:39 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] has anyone done remote training for ios voiceover? (via zoom preferred)

I prefer onsite hands-on training when teaching how to use voiceover but it's not possible in this situation. We'll be using zoom for the screenshare (client's choice).

I'm working with sighted ios native app developers so they'll need to see my hand gestures for the various voiceover interactions but I'll be describing my actions too.

The only way I can think of sharing my gestures is with a webcam but would need a stand-alone camera and not the one built into the laptop. And the webcam would need a stand so it can be positioned over the iphone and be static.

One of the problems, though, is that the phone looks washed out when coming through the webcam and it's hard to see the screen. Not sure if I have to play with the webcam settings and light exposure and such.

Another problem is that the camera has to be a sufficient distance from the phone in order to see the entire phone. The microphone is on the webcam and when too far from the phone, you can't hear voiceover coming through the audio.

This is why I hate remote training.

But nonetheless, has anyone done remote training and has a good setup?

Perhaps I need a separate usb microphone that I place near the iphone speakers so that the audio is picked up, and turn off the microphone on the webcam?

From zoom, there's an option to share my computer screen but there's also an option to share my iphone screen. While sharing the iphone screen wouldn't help with demoing the gestures, it might come in handy but it doesn't seem to work. The directions say to connect the iphone to the same wifi as my laptop (check), go to screen mirroring on the iphone (check), and choose the zoom app for sharing (check). At this point, it should share but it just keeps spinning and eventually says it cannot connect to zoom.

Any tips you can share would be appreciated.

Glen