with - which it might not be! A well-formed table with only one set of
headers, should have the same number of TD tags within each TR. When you
are done deleting the column using my method, every TR in the table
would simply have one less TD in it.

And all your TR's should be nested one-level deep inside one single
Table tag.

Phil.

On 2019-10-24 14:41, Joseph Sherman wrote:
> When you artifact the middle column, does it create two Tables in the Tag tree? That may be what the screen reader is picking up. You might be able to fix this by moving the row tags from the "second" table into the first table to make one table in the Tags tree?
>
>
> Joseph
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Alan Zaitchik
> Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:29 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: [WebAIM] PDf Table with one column "artifacted"
>
> I am working on a wide PDF table of 16 columns that is broken into two tables of 8 columns so that it can be printed in hardcopy form across a page that is then folded down the middle, thus forming a booklet. Each pair of two facing pages thus present the two halves of a table. (I hope this makes sense.) Users can opt for a digital version of the booklet, and users with vision disabilities indeed do so; they can use AT to access the tables, but because each table is implemented as two separate tables (one on the left-side page with the first 8 columns and one on the right-side page with the remaining 8 columns) the row headers from the left-side table do not apply to the table on the facing right-side page. These row headers are far two wordy to bear literal reproduction on the right-side page -- and anyway the customer wants to maintain the current visual appearance of the two tables as being a single table (with a fold in the middle).
> I tried creating a single table with a white-space (borderless) column down the middle, so that the physical fold would be in the middle of the white-space column. This sort of works, although the screen readers get a bit confused when the user steps into an empty "fold cell". (An SR basically announces "blank". Playing with ALT text on the cells didn't really help much.) What I wanted to do was "artifact" the entire fold column so that screen readers would ignore it altogether. Then the user would navigate to next and previous cells skipping over the artifacted "fold cell". But I find that although the tags make it clear we have a single table the mere presence of this artifacted column in the middle makes the screen reader see 2 tables, not 1. It actually says that there are 2 tables of 8 columns, not 1 table of 17. The artifacted "fold column"
> is interpreted as the table boundary of each table, for some reason! So this is a failure.
>
> Has anyone successfully created a table with a column down the middle set to artifact, so a screen reader would just ignore it but still see a single table?
>
> Thanks
> A