E-mail List Archives
GIF and accessibility
From: Abby Kingman
Date: Nov 22, 2019 2:13PM
- Next message: glen walker: "Re: GIF and accessibility"
- Previous message: Bryan Garaventa: "Re: Aria Sliders on Mobile"
- Next message in Thread: glen walker: "Re: GIF and accessibility"
- Previous message in Thread: None
- View all messages in this Thread
I feel a little silly about posting this, but here goes.
One of our marketing folks recently posted an article about how to create
and post GIFs as a way to boost your branding efforts. I sent her a note
asking if she might expand the article with a bit about how to make sure
these are accessible - can you add alt text, will they respect the
prefers-reduced-motion query, can they be made to pause? Sadly when I tried
googling for gif accessibility, I got a bunch of gifs about accessibility
I did some quick screen reader testing, and got different results depending
on where the GIF was loaded (twitter, slack), but basically got buttons or
just nasty urls.
As far as I can find, there really is no way to make these accessible - is
that really true?? If not, can anyone post some resources?
Abby Kingman, CPACC
Last Call Media