WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Artifact tag vs. Change tag to artifact in Acrobat

for

Date: Mar 9, 2020 8:28AM

Quote: " PLEASE send all your NDA horribly tagged documents to Duff!!!!!!! As I say, this may be our last chance to salvage the file format as an accessible one." /End Quote

Duff's email is:
<EMAIL REMOVED>

— — —
Bevi Chagnon, founder/CEO | <EMAIL REMOVED>
— — —
PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing
consulting ' training ' development ' design ' sec. 508 services
Upcoming classes at www.PubCom.com/classes
— — —
Latest blog-newsletter – Accessibility Tips at www.PubCom.com/blog

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Karlen Communications
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2020 8:27 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Artifact tag vs. Change tag to artifact in Acrobat

One last word on one of Duff's comments:

The PDF (or any other) specification is not responsible for the behavior of software implementing the specification. That is the responsibility of the software developer.

This is my point. I am reminded of my father, who worked for Ford, buying a Pinto when Pinto's were popular. Once reports came out that their gas tanks were exploding on contact he quickly got rid of it. In the case of the Pinto, an analogy to PDF would be: was it the specifications for the car that were incorrect or was it the interpretation of the specifications that was incorrect and caused the exploding gas tanks? For the Pinto we probably have an answer, given that all of the applications I am looking at are giving the same results, we don't have an answer for what is going wrong with the accessibility of PDF documents yet. Is it the specifications that are wrong or the implementation/interpretation? In either case, something needs to be fixed.

PLEASE send all your NDA horribly tagged documents to Duff!!!!!!! As I say, this may be our last chance to salvage the file format as an accessible one.

Cheers, Karen