WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Cross Screen Reader testing

for

Date: May 16, 2020 7:15AM

I had not heard of this, so I have just subscribed. My first thought is that it looks like a cheap way for a lot of people to do really bad testing. If someone wants to do assistive technology testing, the first step should be to get a lot of experience observing how people use assistive technologies, how they navigate websites, web pages and mobile apps, and learning what does and does not cause problems for them. Only then should they install and use the assistive technology. This website encourages people to jump straight in without any understanding at all. As such, it could do more harm than good.

My second thought was that this constitutes a clear violation of the JAWS license unless they have done a deal with Freedom Scientific. There is no mention of this on the website.

As for how well the virtualised service matches the behaviour on a real machine, we won't know until the service goes live.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Murphy, Sean
Sent: 16 May 2020 12:12
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Cross Screen Reader testing

All,

Anyone used this service "Cross Screen Reader Testing". Visit https://assistivlabs.com/ to see the limited info available.

[cid:image001.png@01D62BC6.92398350]

Sean Murphy | Accessibility expert/lead
Digital Accessibility manager
Telstra Digital Channels | Digital Systems
Mobile: 0405 129 739 | Desk: (02) 9866-7917

www.telstra.com

This email may contain confidential information.
If I've sent it to you by accident, please delete it immediately