WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Visible labels for link, combobox and button?

for

Date: Aug 10, 2020 10:01AM

I cannot find anything in SC 3.3.2 that allows the use of images or icons as labels, and I always report that as a non-conformance. The nearest I can find is technique G167, which states "When a button invokes a function on an input field, has a clear text label, and is rendered adjacent to the input field, the button also acts as a label for the input field."

I also cannot see anything that permits the use of a combobox's default value as a label. That is no different from relying on the placeholder in a textbox insofar as the label is no longer visible once the value of the form control has been changed.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
Sent: 10 August 2020 16:38
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Visible labels for link, combobox and button?

Most experts agree that SC 3.3.2 Labels or Instructions requires visible labels for input. Visible labels can take different forms including values in combo boxes, images/icons, and other controls as a label - but there needs to be some visible label as well that is persistent

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Wing Kuet
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 6:51 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Visible labels for link, combobox and button?

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Does anyone have a view of whether there should there be visible labels for links, comboboxes and button for a form? I have a website built by one of our clients that do not place visible labels to the link, comboboxes and button that are used to filter a list of search results? However, they all each have an accessible name such as the following example where whatever text is displayed is used as the accessible name.

[A screenshot of a cell phone Description automatically generated]

If the links, combobox and button have an accessible name already would that suffice for success criteria 2.4.6 Headings and labels or does there need to be a visible label?

Regards,

Wing Kuet
Accessibility Consultant & Software Tester Test Partners Ltd <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >