WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessibility for Authoring Tools

for

Date: Sep 24, 2020 6:54AM

I agree with you Michael; it would be nice if authoring tool companies would make their products fully accessible.

At present, I do create responsive, online courses in Captivate 2019 but I have colleagues who think the extra time (and cost) it takes to create accessible courses isn't our best approach and wants to allow designing "scalable" courses (instead of responsive) or look for another tool. That's why I am wondering how Articulate Storyline compares with Adobe Captivate 2019 when it comes to accessibility.

Again, thanks for your thoughts Michael. I appreciate any thoughts/experiences from others, as I see this as a very important decision for our institution.
Julie

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 4:57 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessibility for Authoring Tools

I have a little experience with Captivate 2019. There is a "responsive" project type that I haven't explored, but the "normal" project type is similar to Storyline in that the HTML output does not support zooming. If you enable the table of contents feature, it has many accessibility problems. Also, if you add links to your slides, they won't be keyboard accessible (stick to buttons instead, which are better).

The authoring environment is not at all accessible.

It certainly would be great if some vendor could come up with something half way passable for accessible training development. Neither Captivate or Storyline are good options.

Date: Monday, September 21, 2020 at 4:26 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessibility for Authoring Tools Regarding Captivate, while I haven't used it, Adobe publishes their VPATs so you might get a sense for how well it works.

https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.adobe.com%2Faccessibility%2Fcompliance.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cmichael.vaughn%40yale.edu%7Ce2657198c9d2401b0cae08d85e6ca6cb%7Cdd8cbebb21394df8b4114e3e87abeb5c%7C0%7C0%7C637363168038910071&amp;sdata=1hk5pT3YrfDtoRLw4L17x9h9J6sitq%2FmezaUMMx3xIA%3D&amp;reserved=0
The materials in this message are private and may contain Protected Healthcare Information or other information of a sensitive nature. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return mail.