WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Anti-spam email links in Javascript

for

Date: Apr 8, 2004 9:36AM

I have been asked to produce a public-facing page containing email links. The user wants to avoid spam, but also wants to have AAA accessibility, which appears to be mutually exclusive. The page is produced by JSP, so I can write whatever HTML / Javascript I like, but I can't see how to get around the problem that a browser which does not have Javascript enabled will not be able to display the email address.
Is it acceptable to use a <no-script> tag to say something like: "email address obscured due to spam" ?
This would seem to me to go against the general principle of providing alternate versions of non-accessible content.
The only other option that I have been able to think of is to have the <noscript> section provide a link to a form-mail page. Do you think that this counts as 'equivalent' to a mailto: link?

Mike

Check planning applications from your office or home
www.edinburgh.gov.uk/planning
Pay for on-street parking in central Edinburgh from your mobile phone
www.edinburgh.gov.uk/mpark
More at www.edinburgh.gov.uk/onlineservices
This Email and files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended for the sole use of the individual or organisation to whom they are addressed. If you have received this Email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete it without using, copying, storing, forwarding or disclosing its contents to any other person. The Council has endeavoured to scan this Email message and attachments for computer viruses and will not be liable for any losses incurred by the recipient.

----
To subscribe, unsubscribe, suspend, or view list archives,
visit http://www.webaim.org/discussion/