WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Accessibility: ARIA trees obviously not accessible with NVDa/JAWS screenreader and Firefox/Chrome on Windows

for

Date: Jan 27, 2021 6:04AM

Ok, in non auto forms mode JAWS will read the selected or first element when it encounters a tree in VPC. When one switchs into forms mode by pressing space, navigation is then handled by the JAVASCRIPT on the page. But you stated you were not working with JS so navigation would be impossible there too.
When you mark a element as treeview the screen reader sees it as one widget,. often developers will use a list of buttons or links with ariaexpanded and no role sence this works without JS and can be navigated in Virtual screen reader modes.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 27, 2021, at 6:05 AM, Mark Magennis < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> I have an idea that this may be to do with the screen reader expecting you to be in forms/focus mode in order to access the tree content. As you know, Aria treeviews are intended to implement a keyboard interaction pattern which is coded using Javascript. Screen readers Jaws and NVDA know this. So when you tab into the treeview (assuming the first element is focusable the screen reader automatically switches into forms mode (Jaws) or focus mode (NVDA term for the same thing).
>
> My conjecture: When you arrow into the treeview the screen reader doesn't enter forms/ focus mode, but I'm guessing that it expects you to manually enter forms/focus mode if you want to interact with it and doesn't support interacting with it 'correctly' in browse mode.
>
> So the screen reader is making a decision not to allow access to the tree content in browse mode.
>
> Anyone think this is correct/wildly wrong?
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Sent: 27 January 2021 09:34
> To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] [WebAIM] Accessibility: ARIA trees obviously not accessible with NVDa/JAWS screenreader and Firefox/Chrome on Windows
>
> Hello WebAIM Community,
> I'm new in this list and hope you can give advice on that specific question.
> We've basically implemented an ARIA tree in the way W3C recommends, please see cocde example in this link: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Using_ARIA_trees
>
> Many samples and templates (e.g. official ones from Angular) are based on these recommendations.
> If you copy the code example (see link above) in a plain HTML file and open it with Firefox and Chrome, screenreaders can only access the first tree element (in this example "Fruits") and its child elements. Other elements at the first level are not accessible in the virtual mode of screenreaders.
> This was tested using NVDA and JAWS screenreaders as well as Firefox and Chrome browsers.
> Is this a known issue? Does t depend on specific product versions (screenreaders, browsers)?
> Did anyone manage to solve the problem?
>
> Best,
> Benjamin
>
> Benjamin Hofer | Deutsche Telekom
>
> > > > > > >