WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: [EXTERNAL]Creating accessible technical how-to video content

for

Date: Jul 22, 2021 5:15AM

Hi Richard,

Yes audio description (AD) can be difficult for these kinds of videos because there is a lot of visual content that needs describing and there may not be enough silent space within the audio track to insert adequate descriptions at the right places. You have two choices and I would adopt them both if possible.

First, ensure that as far as possible the narration describes important visual content to reduce the need for AD. This can be as simple as the presenter saying for example "you can select different display preferences from the preferences menu in the main toolbar" rather than "change you display preferences here" or "see how you can choose to show as much or as little as you like". Including the important visual information in the narration will greatly reduce the need for AD.

Second, use a video player which pauses the video while AD is being spoken, so it essentially creates its own gaps. You'll need a player that has this capability and YouTube for example does not, so this may be a difficult one for you to achieve, but it may be the only way to provide adequate AD. You can see examples of this in instructional videos from Skillsoft (my company). We include AD with all our content and have adopted "pause for AD" as the only approach that can enable us to provide adequate quality AD. We use JW Player. We collaborated with JW to make their player highly accessible but it still doesn't include this pause for AD feature, we had to add that functionality ourselves. I don't know of any off the shelf player or video hosting sites that do provide this feature.

To see examples f how it works, go to Skillsoft.com, select Free Access and sign up for a 14 day free trial of Percipio. Look at something like Library > Productivity & Collaboration Tools > Microsoft Office > Excel > Creating & Saving Workbooks. If you open that course and select the AD button in the video player toolbar to turn audio description ON you'll see how the description is delivered, the video pausing while each description is being read.

Hope this helps,
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: 22 July 2021 11:24
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [WebAIM] Creating accessible technical how-to video content

I can't point to a good example, but when we are advising clients on this type of video, we recommend scripting the audio track to contain all the relevant information, so they don't need a separate audio described version. Although the user interface might be complex, it is usually only necessary to describe a small part of it at any time. Of course I haven't seen yours, so I don't know if that's the case for you.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Richard Inman
Sent: 22 July 2021 11:12
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Creating accessible technical how-to video content

Hello All

My organisation is in the process of producing a series of how-to videos, to provide guidance to customers on how they should interact with one of our public-facing web applications. Each video shows a process being completed (for example, how to create an account) with the narrator providing a commentary.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good accessible example of this sort of video content? We will provide captions and a transcript, but the audio description element at least to my mind seems problematic.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Richard