WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Colour contrast of text in video content

for

Date: Aug 11, 2021 1:39AM

Hi.

I had the problem as presented some months ago: a Norwegian museum produced about 50 videos with a lot of text contents. Their goal was to make the videos as good as possible for as many as possible regardless of WCAG, and we therefore tried to meet 1.4.3 (even if this was sometimes tricky because of, at least for these videos, the element of art). Sorry, this does not answer your question, but even if wcag do not have a 100% clear success criteria for this, it is obviously important with sufficient contrast also in videos.

Morten

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > PÃ¥ vegne av Steve Green
Sendt: onsdag 11. august 2021 09:02
Til: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Emne: [WebAIM] Colour contrast of text in video content

As far as I can tell, no WCAG success criteria require text in videos to have sufficient colour contrast. Am I missing something?

I am currently testing some videos that contain important text content that is not presented anywhere else. The colour contrast would fail SC 1.4.3, but it does not appear to apply. It seems that the only requirement is that the text is presented in the audio track or an audio description, but that really doesn't feel adequate.

Assuming I am not missing anything, does anyone know why text in video content was not included in SC 1.4.3? Any other thoughts on the matter?

Regards,
Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd
020 3002 4176 (direct)
0800 612 2780 (switchboard)
07957 246 276 (mobile)
020 7692 5517 (fax)
<EMAIL REMOVED>
www.testpartners.co.uk

Connect to me on LinkedIn - http://uk.linkedin.com/in/stevegreen2