WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: accessibility of Select element in iOS 15 and Safari

for

Date: Sep 28, 2021 12:33PM

I cannot verify what you are seeing, but I do not regard it as a WCAG non-conformance if a user agent is displaying colours that you did not (and perhaps cannot) specify. It's a failure of the user agent, not the website.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Sherman, Joseph
Sent: 28 September 2021 17:58
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] accessibility of Select element in iOS 15 and Safari

I just updated to iOS 15 on my iPhone and noticed a possibe accessibility issue of concern. The default colors for dropdown pickers in iOS 15 Safari seems to have changed to a blue on grey color scheme, as in the below. This color scheme has does not have the 4.5:1 contrast ratio required by WCAG AA guidelines. An example is page: https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_select. The issue appears to be with the select element. I tried the accessibility settings and only invert color made a difference. The other options did not change the issue. Can anyone confirm this or is it just me?

Thanks,

[cid:image001.png@01D7B44F.4A5FD710]

Joseph Sherman
Digital Access Coordinator
<EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Text and Cell 503-865-6812
[Office of Equity and Human Rights]

The City of Portland ensures meaningful access to City programs, services, and activities to comply with Civil Rights Title VI and ADA Title II laws and reasonably provides: translation, interpretation, modifications, accommodations, alternative formats, auxiliary aids and services. To request these services, contact 503-823-2709, City TTY 503-823-6868, Relay Service: 711

Traducción e Interpretación | Biên Dịch và Thông Dịch | अनुवादन तथा व्याख्या
口笔译服务 | Устный и письменный перевод | Turjumaad iyo Fasiraad
Письмовий і усний переклад | Traducere și interpretariat | Chiaku me Awewen Kapas
Translation and Interpretation: 503-823-2709