WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WebAIM Discussion List Digest 25.06.2004.

for

Date: Jun 28, 2004 4:39PM

I've just started my first attempt at CSS layout with XHTML.  I've also tried to add accesskeys to the common menu items. 

It was hard going at first and XHTML gave me loads of errors which I think I've now identified.  Next I want to improve accessibility.

I'd welcome any suggestions on improving it's accessibility.

The site is here at the moment: http://d476047.r39.rcthosting.com/

Paul Creedy
<EMAIL REMOVED> wrote:
WebAIM Discussion List Digest 25.06.2004.------------------------------------------------------------------------From: <EMAIL REMOVED> ject: Re: Intro and questionDate: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:22:03 -0600Check out the CSS Zen Garden at www.zengarden.com . There are dozens ofbeautiful and accessible web designs on this site. When you constructyour site using CSS, separating presentation from content, there is noneed for two sites.Katy Whitelaw&amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; <EMAIL REMOVED> 6/23/2004 3:03:14 PM &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt;Another caution in developing a separate version is that many timestheseparate version is developed for screen reader users. This is not theonlydisability community who use the web. So a separate &quot;accessible&quot; sitemightnot be truly accessible, it could end up just being a screen
readerversion.The site might still be inaccessible for other audiences.A resource which might help, especially if you need to justify yourdecision*not* to maintain two sites, is &quot;Myth: Just Add a Text-Only Version&quot;in&quot;Understanding Web Accessibility&quot; in the book &quot;Constructing AccessibleWebsites.&quot;&quot;Constructing Accessible Websites&quot; by Jim Thatcher, Cynthia Waddell,Shawn Henry, Sarah Swierenga, Mark Urban, Michael Burks, Paul Bohman,Publisher: APress; Reprint edition (July 14, 2003), ISBN: 1590591488