WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Superscript tag and HTML

for

Date: Sep 9, 2022 7:01PM

I'm asking so a screen read user has the option. Can you provide a bit more instruction on how to do it with JAWS? I checked the Speech and Sound Scheme's attribute tab, which has superscript listed but it didn't work on two test documents.   All my verbosity settings are high.  I'm using Chrome.   Someone explained to me how to change the setting in NVDA and I verified it works.
On Friday, September 9, 2022 at 05:31:26 p.m. EDT, Jonathan Cohn < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

It can be read, just the default settings prevent it. Generally, Screen Reader users on the web want as clean a reading of information as possible.For example imagine a standard price tag where the cents part of the price is in a super script:It would sound like price 9 dollars start superscript 99 end super script.If the superscript is ignored you will probably get:Price 9hundred and ninety nine dollars. Admittedly this is not much better.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

On Sep 9, 2022, at 5:13 PM, Mark Weiler < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
I noticed that the HTML superscript tag, SUP, isn't being spoken as such by JAWS or NVDA.  I put JAWS into default user mode too. However, when in a Word document, the superscript is properly read.  Any ideas?