WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Link focus indicator for PDF?

for

Date: Oct 17, 2022 12:24PM

If you have Acrobat pro, you can change the visual appearance of the link focus indicator. You would go into “edit pdf” then select “link” in the edit PDF pane. Then select “add/edit web or document link.” Then right-click on the box for a link, and select “properties.” In the appearance tab, you can change color, thickness, style and other things about the link focus indicator. However, if the link focus indicator (which is generally just an underline) was created in the authoring software (e.g., Word or InDesign), you will need to first change the formatting of the text. This will likely mess up the tags for anything in that chunk of content on the page and you will probably have to retag the link as well (including the link OBJR tag).
If you're lucky, you can delete the underline in the content pane, which won't mess up any of the tags. Then you would follow my directions at the beginning of this email to update the focus indicator. However, you won't be able to change the color of the link text this way.
So yes you can change it, but it might require a bunch of manual retagging if you also need to change the formatting of the link text or are unable to delete the underline in the content pane and then reapply it by updating the link appearance properties.
Hope that made sense!
-Elizabeth Thomas

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 17, 2022, at 11:10 AM, Weissenberger, T M < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> I'm remediating a document and have passed Acrobat Pro and PAC3 a11y checks.
>
> Now I want to add-or technically "edit"-a visual focus/hover indicator to a few links. There is a small, thin outline but it's barely visible and I'd like to make it thicker and change the color. I haven't found anything online-any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> TMW
>
> T. Matthew Weissenberger [he/him/his]
> [cid:image001.png@01D8E210.A1906AA0]
> IT Accessibility Coordinator
> University of Iowa
>
> 2800 University Capitol Centre
> 200 S. Clinton Street
> Iowa City, IA 52242
>
> <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> 319.384.3323
>
> [The words "Accessibility at Iowa", gold on black, with the word IOWA also rendered in Braille pattern]
>
>