WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Screen Readers pronouncing product name

for

Date: Dec 16, 2022 1:00PM

As a screen reader user, I would say you don't need to worry. We get used to a lot of things -- many of which are worse than this. Secondly, most screen readers have a "pronunciation dictionary" where you can teach it how to creative mis-pronounce a word to get it to sound right.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Aaron Krug
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2022 1:48 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Screen Readers pronouncing product name

This message may be from an external email source.
Do not select links or open attachments unless verified. Report all suspicious emails to Minnesota IT Services Security Operations Center.

Our organization has several products that the official names are two words put together. For example, ABLEnow, Virginia529, etc. When screen readers try to read these they spell out the name. Is there a way to tell screen reader how to pronounce the name? I had thought about wrapping the text with a span tag and having aria-label with the names with a space so they are like a normal word. We are required to have it written with the formatting above which means I would have to add the code in a lot of places. Is there a better way to handle this or is this something we really need to not worry about? Basically what would be best practices when it comes to issues like this?

Thanks

Aaron Krug

[Text Description automatically generated] This communication and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not copy, disclose, or distribute this message to anyone else; any such actions may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender of the message immediately to inform him or her of the error. Virginia529 cannot provide legal, financial, or tax advice and this communication and any attachments do not contain legal, financial, or tax advice and cannot be construed as such or relied upon for those purposes.