WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: "Go to Top" element, link or button

for

Date: Jan 19, 2023 5:45PM

Here is my old-school top of mind response:

Use links when the context is traversing to another place. Use buttons when the context is an action or process. It isn't a hard rule, but be accessible and be consistent in any use. Also, we overdid these "back to top" links eons ago--less is more now. People are more willing to scroll and have better tools to do so versus long ago. Use them only when they are really needed.

Just my quick take that they should be links, not buttons in most cases.

Clayton Silva
California Department of Education

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2023 2:48 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] "Go to Top" element, link or button

I am having a debate with our internal web development team regarding a "go to top" element on our websites. I was recently reviewing one of our internal websites that is nicely sectioned in the main region / landmark. At the end of each section is a button labeled "go to top," which moves the focus to the beginning of the main region / landmark. This is also what is published in our web development guidelines. The debate is whether this element should be a button or a link. I have my opinion, but I do not want to influence yours.

Should this be a button or a link. Please let me know your opinion and why you have that opinion. Afterwards, I will provide mine.

Rick