WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Focus reset

for

Date: Apr 17, 2023 1:02AM

Hi everyone,

out of interest, would it be possible to make a tablist out of it?
Although then at the start the first button with its corresponding
content would be visible.

Regards Miriam

On 17/04/2023 07:20, <EMAIL REMOVED> wrote:
> Hi Sumit,
>
>
>
> Personally I feel the third approach is good one. Also states can be provided to the button whether it is selected or not.
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Sumit Patel
> Sent: Monday, 17 April, 2023 10:08 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: [WebAIM] Focus reset
>
>
>
> Hai all,
>
>
>
> I have come across a page where we have a group of buttons in the left side and related contents will be updating in the right side based on our selection in the left side. As we land on the page, no button is selected. so, right side, we don't have any contents.
>
> In the dom order, first focus goes to the left side contents then to the right . so, it is fine .
>
> I would like to know which way would be the right one to communicate to the screen reader user that contents updated in the right side after selecting any of the buttons
>
>
>
> I could think of 3 ways.
>
>
>
> 1. Setting the focus to the start of the updated contents after selecting any of the buttons
>
>
>
> But, I don't think this is the right way . Because, sighted keyboard-only user won't be interested with this approach as they have to do multiple shift+ tab always if they want to select other buttons and see related contents.
>
>
>
> 2. Giving an offscreen instruction at the top of the group of buttons and associating it with the group using aria-describedby . for
>
> example: selection of any of these buttons add contents below
>
>
>
> This works and does not create any trrouble for anyone. but, is it the better way . not sure Is it enough for a screen reader users ?
>
>
>
> 3. Providing an alert message as soon a the contents appears I think this is the better one. I assume this gives clear information to screen reader users .
>
> but, what would be the right alert message ? we have a section heading like "product features".
>
> Is it sufficient if we make this heading get announced ? or do we need to give any offscreen alert message like "contents are updated "
>
>
>
> Please suggest me what would be the right solution
>
>
>
>
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sumit .