WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WCAG 2.2 Accessible Authentication

for

Date: Oct 17, 2023 8:45PM

I think it’s great that they added that and look forward to new authentications. AI is getting around the captcha by using taskrabbit and having people to fill out the captcha for them, stating they were blind users. To top it off, we’ve had a big password manager leak occur and need a new way to authenticate users. Like the way https://freecodecamp.org logs people in. Put in your email and it sends you a link. No login, password, or captcha required and it’s still able to track your progress.

Web 3 uses crypto wallets to login to sites, no additional authentication needed. Press connect button on site and confirm in your mobile wallet or browser extension. Additional interactions require you to approve them through your mobile wallet. Check out https://dework.xyz, a web 3 bounty board that uses crypto wallets or your discord account to login.

There are 2 things I would add. Additional guidelines for 2.5 Input Modalities.

2.5.9 AA – Multimodal Input (minimum)

Facetime comes to mind. You can only do audio/video chat, there is no text chatting capabilities for DHOH or neurodiverse individuals. Slack is another that comes to mind. You can do voice and text chat, but no video chat or screensharing for ASL or presentation purposes.

2.5.10 AAA – Multimodal input (enhanced)

Google glasses have shown they can convert American Sign Language (ASL) into text but isn’t currently commercially available. Another instance would be typing/dictating in natural languages with conversion to local language. Google translate is getting better.

Best,

Joshua Hori

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > on behalf of Alastair Veal via WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Date: Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 2:30 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Cc: Alastair Veal < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] WCAG 2.2 Accessible Authentication
HI Everyone,

I wondered what you though of WCAG Web Content Accessibility Guidelines(WCAG) 2.2 (w3.org).

As I understand it, we cannot use Google Recapture unless we provide an accessible alternative, such as email authentication…

Thanks,

Alastair Veal

|
|
|
| | |

|

|
|
| |
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.2

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.2 covers a wide range of recommendations for making We...
|

|

|

As I understand it, we cannot use Google Recapture unless weprovide an accessible alternative, such as email authentication…

Thanks,

Alastair Veal