WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: SC 1.3.5 and input type=date

for

Date: Oct 30, 2023 11:51AM

May be, I haven't yet understood the permissible bending of success criteria in the WCAG in view of inadequate browser support. Can anybody reference relevant passages?

> Whether the browser saves or presents the saved value is outside the scope of WCAG.

Does this mean that using typeÚte for birthday (bday) is no failure although the birthday is not presented effectively?

A value for *bday* is “programmatically determined” according to 1.3.5. Browsers could implement the data even in an input with typeÚte by sharing the yyyy-mm-dd to input sections for yyyy, mm and dd.

What if a common browser does not separate and support "identifying the expected meaning for form input data" with typeÚte for a birthday?

Have I missed information or is this a gray area?

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of glen walker
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2023 7:53 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] SC 1.3.5 and input typeÚte

> Is it a failure of SC 1.3.5 to use typeÚte?

I don't think typeÚte is granular enough to understand the "purpose" of the input field. There's no way to know what the date is for. If I'm on an airline site, I might be specifying dates for flights, and when I book the flight, then I might need to specify my birthdate. All those fields could have typeÚte but the purpose of each field would not be known unless you have autocomplete½ay.

Whether the browser saves or presents the saved value is outside the scope of WCAG.