WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Where text exists but cannot be read by screenreader - which checkpoint?

for

Date: Nov 9, 2023 6:50PM

If you are doing a WCAG audit, you should not report issues in terms of assistive technology behaviour (although a lot of testers do, especially those who can't read code). You need to identify the root cause, which will require analysis of the code. Once you know the root cause, you will be able to tell if it maps to a WCAG success criterion.

Not all adverse behaviours map to WCAG success criteria, in which case you can't report it as a non-conformance. You may be able to report it outside the WCAG test report, but that will depend on whether your organisation allows that.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2023 1:18 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Where text exists but cannot be read by screenreader - which checkpoint?

In cases where screen readers fail to read specific text, and it's not covered by 1.1.1 (non-text content), you might want to consider looking into guidelines related to the structure and presentation of content. Checkpoints related to semantic structure, focus management, or ARIA roles could be relevant. Consider guidelines like 1.3 (Adaptable), 2.4 (Navigable), or 4.1 (Compatible). These guidelines often address issues related to how content is presented and accessed by different user agents, including screen readers.
Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

On Nov 9, 2023, at 8:01 PM, Kevin Prince < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

Thanks Dean, I can usually sort the solution - my issue is what checkpoint should they come under (for instance - the single line in the drop down is a selectise issue and we have a solution). Occasionally I'll see text that just isn't read: but it isn't 1.1.1 because it's not non-text content.

kevin