WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

ISO-HTML follow up

for

Date: Jun 29, 2005 11:38AM

There have been some excellent responses to my posting relating to ISO-HTML.

Following are my personal observations and comments:

Thomas Jedenfelt wrote:

Thanks to James for the summary of the ISO/IEC 15445:2000 DTD.

Thank you, in turn, Thomas. Let me take this opportunity to point out that I am no ISO-HTML zealot. I do find it interesting, however, that ISO-HTML is the only implemention of HTML that can claim to be a true standard. I am currently using ISO-HTML for my private active Website who's pages are, by preference, of simple single column structure -- forty two pages incorporating several hundred graphical images. ISO-HTML -- which is actually a core of mature HTML elements and attributes -- works very well for these pages. Actually, in this instance I am composing and validating these pages using ISO-HTML so that I can publish them in any HTML/XHTML "flavor" of my choice -- when they validate as ISO-HTML they will also validate as HTML 4.x (strict), XHTML 1.0 (strict), XHTML 1.1 and XHTML Basic by substituting the appropriate DocType/DTD/Namespace data (and running XHTML pages through "Tidy" to close open tags). Inasmuch as I have implemented my own CMS system (built around HTML-Kit, my Editor) which provides batch DocType/DTD/Namespace data substitution, Markup Validation and "Tidy" processing it is a relatively quick and easy task. I have installed a link to an XHTML 1.0 (strict) version of my index page (link in my
signature block below) if you would like to check it out. I actually will soon convert my pages to HTML 4.01 (Strict) -- my implementation of choice -- using my CMS. BTW, I will also great rid of the "Icon clutter " on my Home page pretty soon.

Michael D. Roush wrote:

..... I don't like the idea of the developers and other technology fields being left out of direct discussion of and contribution to 'standard' html .....

In all fairness, Michael, they had considerable input during the development of the ISO-HTML Standard. Dave Raggett of the
W3C -- one of the most respected and influential contributors to W3C HTML Development and implementation -- worked very closely with the ISO throughout.

Terence de Giere wrote:

ISO HTML is an accessible document type, but depending on the software you are using to edit it, it might be difficult or impossible to use. Graphical editing software tends to add things that ISO HTML does not support. ISO HTML does not support scripting, for example. Many software packages will automatically add image sizing information when the page is loaded etc. ISO HTML works fine in an Standard Generalized Markup Language editor where you can load the Document Type Definition, but I am not sure it is really practical for most HTML editing programs .....

A very good assessment, IMO.

If you have the means to edit it efficiently by all means use it if it fits your requirements ..... Very few people seem to be using ISO HTML, probably because of the lack of easy-to-use-software for editing. You can validate ISO HTML using the W3C's HTML validator .....if graphical sophistication is a requirement, the limitations of ISO HTML might be a hindrance. For example, one cannot place headings inside DIV elements, so some of the tricks for creating CSS format boxes to replace table format in other versions of HTML cannot be done with this version. ISO HTML is best for one-column, well-structured, documents such as an academic report .....

Excellent points -- BTW, all the Markup Validators I use (W3C, WDG, Nick Kew, Spirit) process ISO-HTML.

Cheryl D. Wise wrote:

..... I will continue to use the W3C XHTML doctypes.

I think you should, Cheryl -- IMO, the important thing is to compose Web pages in a way that is the most comfortable for you and that are Interoperable as defined by the W3C.

James

Pickering Pages: http://www.jp29.org/