WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: skip navigation question

for

Date: Apr 15, 2006 7:50AM

MessageHi there,

I don't have as much experience as a lot of the people on this list but I would say, yes put two skip to's in. One to local navigation and one to skip to content.

Might also be worthwhile to add them at the bottom of the page e.g. "Back to main menu" "back to local menu".

We used a similar approach on a portal we are developing.

My two cents worth anyway,

Martin
----- Original Message -----
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 1:54 AM
Subject: [WebAIM] skip navigation question

Another baby question.... but very important to usablity of site.

I work for a state agency that is under a parent oganization which is under a portal. So I have to put alot of navigation, which the users of the site just don't care about. Then within main site, we are really have mini sites. For example, many of our library readers aren't even blind, so they book mark the library section of the site. Then we have managers who are blind that don't care about anything but material that is related to blind vendors. So they bookmark that part of the site.

Because I have control of my local menu (many of the folks in our parent organization do not), while including all the parent navigation, I also included specialized links for these "mini sites" without including the text of another "mini site's menu". In my new design I've grouped the required links as "main menu" and the specialized link for the mini site is grouped as "local menu".

If I use skip to content, the local menu might be skipped which is really like a table of contents to the "mini site". If I send the folks to including the local menu, frequent users that use speech might be unhappy.

Should I add two "skip" links: Go to local menu and go to content? or should I just keep using skip navigation which sends the person to the content of the page?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------