WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: mobile version of site and horizontal scroll arrows for content that extends off the screen

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

Date: Fri, Sep 08 2023 12:22PM
Subject: mobile version of site and horizontal scroll arrows for content that extends off the screen
No previous message | Next message →

Hi all,

one of my support team noticed that one of our websites has arrows on each
side of a horizontally scrollable series of course icons, but the
mobile version does not have those arrows. I believe that this was done
intentionally, but I don't recall. Do we need the arrows for mobile user
accessibility, or is it enough that they can swipe left or right to achieve
the same result as tapping an arrow?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Warner
Director of IT Services
MindEdge Learning

Date: Fri, Sep 08 2023 12:56PM
Subject: Re: mobile version of site and horizontal scroll arrows for content that extends off the screen
← Previous message | No next message

No, it's not enough. Some people use keyboard navigation (usually with Bluetooth keyboards) on mobile devices, with and without screen readers.

It would be WCAG conformant to make the buttons appear on focus, as is common with "Skip to content" links. Only user testing will tell you if people have usability issues with that.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
Sent: Friday, September 8, 2023 7:22 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] mobile version of site and horizontal scroll arrows for content that extends off the screen

Hi all,

one of my support team noticed that one of our websites has arrows on each side of a horizontally scrollable series of course icons, but the mobile version does not have those arrows. I believe that this was done intentionally, but I don't recall. Do we need the arrows for mobile user accessibility, or is it enough that they can swipe left or right to achieve the same result as tapping an arrow?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Warner
Director of IT Services
MindEdge Learning