WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: The Dangers of Depending on AI to Help with Content

for

Number of posts in this thread: 1 (In chronological order)

Date: Mon, Sep 09 2024 6:53AM
Subject: The Dangers of Depending on AI to Help with Content
No previous message | No next message

Morning!
I use Grammarly and up until this point, have appreciated its suggestions. I had to uninstall it a few months ago as there was a conflict with the Editor tools in Word.
I reinstalled it again last week and ended up fighting with it.
I found that it kept wanting to rewrite my content so that it was no longer "my" content and no longer "my" voice. My thoughts and creativity were watered down to someone else's uninterested interpretation of my thoughts.
Add to that, AI doesn't seem to understand that I am writing tutorials and journal articles related to adaptive technology, keyboard commands and semantic markup or structure, and I've ended up having to undo many paragraphs back to my original text...my meaning and intent were so diluted that they were no longer valid...or sometimes coherent.
So, while AI can help fine tune grammar and spelling, it is a dangerous tool that negates the voice of the author. I feel sorry for educators and students who will rely more and more on AI to assist them in their content, especially "immature" authors who haven't found their voices yet and who can potentially have their voices silenced with generic dribble.
Happy Monday!
Cheers, Karen