E-mail List Archives

Thread: implementing Canvas to assure accessibility

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

From: Jennifer Sutton
Date: Thu, Feb 27 2014 12:25PM
Subject: implementing Canvas to assure accessibility
No previous message | Next message →

Greetings, WebAIM:

I'm wondering if Steve F./others could offer the list an update on
Canvas accessibility. One of Steve's recent tweets, pasted below my
name, indicates progress.

What I'm hoping for is an update on the application of/implications
for the use of Canvas, with respect to accessibility, in the real
world, right now.

Questions that are crossing my mind include:

-- If Canvas is implemented to create an image, but the raw data is
still available, will that raw data suffice, in terms of
accessibility? I would think some kind of textual description would
be valuable to all, including anyone using an older browser that
might not support Canvas.

-- Are there any Canvas-generating libraries that are particularly
focusing on assuring accessibility?

-- What is the best source of accessible examples?

Thanks.
Best,
Jennifer

@stevefaulkner tweeted:

HTML5 <canvas> hit Region and focus ring details and example
http://t.co/WxhkuSN4TD

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 9:14:40 AM
http://twitter.com/stevefaulkner/status/438723805067096066

From: Steve Faulkner
Date: Tue, Mar 11 2014 3:25AM
Subject: Re: implementing Canvas to assure accessibility
← Previous message | No next message

hi Jennifer current state of canvas accessibility:

all modern browsers support navigable canvas sub DOM refer to
http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/canvas.html

the other parts of the puzzle are:
focus rings: ability to draw focus rings on a canvas that correspond to
interactive elements in the canvas sub DOM: implemented in Firefox nightly.
hit regions: ability to bind a region of the canvas to an element in the
sub DOM and pass events to the element in the sub DOM: implemented in
Firefox nightly.
Example of hit regions and drawFocusIfNeeded
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014Feb/0074.html

--

Regards

SteveF
HTML 5.1 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/>;


On 10 March 2014 03:34, Jennifer Sutton < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:

> Greetings, WAI-IG:
>
> I posted a message similar to this one to the WebAIM list on February 27,
> but I didn't receive any answers to the thread:
> http://webaim.org/discussion/mail_thread?thread=6335
>
> So, I'm slightly modifying my message and posting here, in hopes of
> gathering input.
>
> I'm wondering if involved parties could offer the list an update on Canvas
> accessibility. One of Steve's recent tweets, pasted below my name, suggests
> that there's progress .
>
> What I'd welcome is an update on the application of/implications for the
> use of Canvas, with respect to accessibility, in the real world, right now.
> I'm working with a client who's implementing it, and I need to provide
> guidance to assure both that the Canvas implementation can be made as
> accessible as possible (not just to screen reader users, of course). And I
> want to provide guidance about fallback techniques.
>
> Questions that are crossing my mind include:
>
> -- If Canvas is implemented to create an image, but the raw data is still
> available, will that raw data suffice, in terms of accessibility? I would
> think some kind of textual description would be valuable to all, including
> anyone using an older browser that might not support Canvas.
>
> -- Are there any Canvas-generating libraries that are particularly
> focusing on assuring accessibility?
>
> -- What is the best source of accessible examples?
>
> Thanks.
> Best,
> Jennifer
>
> @stevefaulkner tweeted:
>
> HTML5 <canvas> hit Region and focus ring details and example
> http://t.co/WxhkuSN4TD
>
> Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 9:14:40 AM
> http://twitter.com/stevefaulkner/status/438723805067096066
>
>
>