WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: How can a government agency equate compliance or accessibility to dollars?

for

Number of posts in this thread: 4 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, Mar 25 2015 8:36AM
Subject: How can a government agency equate compliance or accessibility to dollars?
No previous message | Next message →

Government §508 projects, such as standing up automation support for testing, or making any other sort of costly, time consuming, or non-trivial change, seems to take forever and/or never reach completion. Such projects get peoples' "spare time" and even "spare people." My theory is that §508 isn't typically considered "mission-oriented," so it is seemingly overlooked, ignored, or de-prioritized.

I'm looking for a way to communicate the urgency and necessity to others to a cross-functional project team. I think that equating dollars to success/failure may be the way to go in this particular environment. Do you have any suggestions on how that can be done?

Date: Wed, Mar 25 2015 8:39AM
Subject: Re: How can a government agency equate compliance or accessibility to dollars?
← Previous message | Next message →

For me, I always say that "the difference between being proactive and reactive is about 8 zeros". I'm not kidding, it certainly can be.
-----Original Message-----
From: Meacham, Steve - FSA, Kansas City, MO [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:36 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] How can a government agency equate compliance or accessibility to dollars?

Government §508 projects, such as standing up automation support for testing, or making any other sort of costly, time consuming, or non-trivial change, seems to take forever and/or never reach completion. Such projects get peoples' "spare time" and even "spare people." My theory is that §508 isn't typically considered "mission-oriented," so it is seemingly overlooked, ignored, or de-prioritized.

I'm looking for a way to communicate the urgency and necessity to others to a cross-functional project team. I think that equating dollars to success/failure may be the way to go in this particular environment. Do you have any suggestions on how that can be done?

Date: Wed, Mar 25 2015 9:03AM
Subject: Re: How can a government agency equate compliance or accessibility to dollars?
← Previous message | Next message →

> I think that equating dollars to success/failure may be the way to go in this particular environment. Do you have any suggestions on how that can be done?

The US Access Board commissioned a regulatory assessment as part of the Section 508 refresh. You may find some items in there to get you started. Many of the benefits to society and the impact on ICT outside of the government are hard to quantify but are real.

http://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/communications-and-it/about-the-ict-refresh/preliminary-regulatory-impact-analysis#h5

Jonathan

-- 
Jonathan Avila 
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Phone 703.637.8957  
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Meacham, Steve - FSA, Kansas City, MO
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:36 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] How can a government agency equate compliance or accessibility to dollars?

Date: Thu, Mar 26 2015 7:52AM
← Previous message | No next message

Hi, Steve.

Maybe these documents from IBM would be helpful to you with cost arguments
and estimations:

IBM's WCAG 2.0 Compliance Costing Model
https://www-03.ibm.com/able/education/downloads/IBM_WCAG_2.0_Compliance_Costing_Model_CSUN13.pdf

Cost Savings of Early Accessibility
http://www-03.ibm.com/able/education/downloads/CostSavingsofEarlyAccessibility-CSUN-2012_accessible_IBM.pdf

Hope some of that helps!

Best,
Rob

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Meacham, Steve - FSA, Kansas City, MO <
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:

> Government §508 projects, such as standing up automation support for
> testing, or making any other sort of costly, time consuming, or non-trivial
> change, seems to take forever and/or never reach completion. Such projects
> get peoples' "spare time" and even "spare people." My theory is that §508
> isn't typically considered "mission-oriented," so it is seemingly
> overlooked, ignored, or de-prioritized.
>
> I'm looking for a way to communicate the urgency and necessity to others
> to a cross-functional project team. I think that equating dollars to
> success/failure may be the way to go in this particular environment. Do
> you have any suggestions on how that can be done?
> > > >

--
Robert Fentress
Senior Accessibility Solutions Designer

Technology-enhanced Learning & Online Strategies
Assistive Technologies
1180 Torgersen Hall
620 Drillfield Drive (0434)
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061