WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: creating transcripts from timed text files

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Oct 27 2015 10:56AM
Subject: creating transcripts from timed text files
No previous message | Next message →

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for insights on whether it's possible to create transcripts from timed text files. I have good, individually reviewed closed caption files. Just need to take the next step to good transcripts. My team feels like this is a totally manual process. Taking the reviewed text from the caption files, taking the timing out, removing the timing breaks, and producing a readable transcript.

I'm curious if there is any technology, service, or otherwise that can work with a part of this process? Even if editorial is required in the end, I'd like to believe there is something that might help in the beginning.

Thanks for your insight.

Becky

Becky Reed
User Experience
Healthwise

Date: Tue, Oct 27 2015 12:06PM
Subject: Re: creating transcripts from timed text files
← Previous message | Next message →

> Hi Everyone, I am looking for insights on whether it's possible to create transcripts from timed text files. I have good, individually reviewed closed caption files.

I would imagine that with a find and replace option and some regular expressions this process could be semi-automated quickly. Combine that with some sort of script such as Perl and it really could be automated. I haven't looked to see if something like that already exists but someone should be able to create it pretty quickly.

Jonathan

-- 
Jonathan Avila 
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Phone 703.637.8957  
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Becky Reed
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:56 PM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] creating transcripts from timed text files

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for insights on whether it's possible to create transcripts from timed text files. I have good, individually reviewed closed caption files. Just need to take the next step to good transcripts. My team feels like this is a totally manual process. Taking the reviewed text from the caption files, taking the timing out, removing the timing breaks, and producing a readable transcript.

I'm curious if there is any technology, service, or otherwise that can work with a part of this process? Even if editorial is required in the end, I'd like to believe there is something that might help in the beginning.

Thanks for your insight.

Becky

Becky Reed
User Experience
Healthwise

Date: Tue, Oct 27 2015 5:41PM

Hello:

I wonder if this resource page, from 3Play Media, might help to point
you to DIY tools:

http://www.3playmedia.com/2015/07/06/everything-you-need-to-know-to-transcribe-video-create-closed-captions/

Note that I'm not endorsing any particular vendor, when suggesting this
page. But I will take this chance to commend 3Play Media for very
generously sharing information with the community, far beyond marketing
pitches.

Best,
Jennifer

Date: Wed, Oct 28 2015 3:09AM

Something like that should be really easy to create in any programming
language - certainly in PHP which I'm most familiar with.

There are a number of different timed texts formats I believe - some XML,
some plain text. Which one(s) are you using?

Regards
Graham Armfield

Date: Thu, Oct 29 2015 6:48AM
← Previous message | No next message

Becky,

You might be able to do a two-step automated conversion. I ran a TTML file through http://subtitleconverter.net/ to yield an .SRT, which I was then able to convert to a text transcript using Rev.com's Caption Converter (http://www.rev.com/captionconverter). I lost my line breaks, but otherwise it worked pretty well.

Todd

T.M. Weissenberger
Web Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology Services
University of Iowa

319-384-3323

From: Jonathan Avila [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ]
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:07 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] creating transcripts from timed text files

> Hi Everyone, I am looking for insights on whether it's possible to create transcripts from timed text files. I have good, individually reviewed closed caption files.

I would imagine that with a find and replace option and some regular expressions this process could be semi-automated quickly. Combine that with some sort of script such as Perl and it really could be automated. I haven't looked to see if something like that already exists but someone should be able to create it pretty quickly.

Jonathan

-- 
Jonathan Avila 
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Phone 703.637.8957  
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Becky Reed
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:56 PM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] creating transcripts from timed text files

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your insight.

Becky

Becky Reed
User Experience
Healthwise