WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: dropdown requirements?

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

Date: Mon, Mar 05 2018 9:02PM
Subject: dropdown requirements?
No previous message | Next message →

Hi,

I have a scenario in one of the web pages where on hitting up/ down arrow
keys in a combobox the page immediately reloads to updated content moving
the focus away from the combobox. So this doesn't let users to traverse
dropdown options at a time as page reloads each time users hits up or down
arrow. But this doesn't happen when I navigate through the combobox options
by expanding it with Alt+ down arrow where users need to hit enter key in
order to invoke the focused option. But still I am suggesting a button
beside the combobox to invoke changes but as the behavior is not so hurting
when doing the action expanding the combobox the dev's are not interested
in providing a button and saying this bug as by design.
I feel this behavior violates WCAG 3.2.2.
Any thoughts on this will be really helpful and I also can provide this
thread as reference for them. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Venkatesh

Date: Mon, Mar 05 2018 9:26PM
Subject: Re: dropdown requirements?
← Previous message | No next message

I agree with you. What your page is doing is clearly a change of context as defined at https://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#context-changedef

It is irrelevant that it is possible to open the combobox list and navigate through it without triggering the event handler. This is not usual user behaviour, and in our user testing I have almost never seen anyone do it - only the most experienced users seem to know about this way of using a combobox.

You could achieve compliance by adding text that warns of this behaviour. It's nowhere near as good as actually fixing the issue but it may be all you can get your developers to do, and it would technically be compliant.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Vemaarapu Venkatesh
Sent: 06 March 2018 04:03
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] dropdown requirements?

Hi,

I have a scenario in one of the web pages where on hitting up/ down arrow keys in a combobox the page immediately reloads to updated content moving the focus away from the combobox. So this doesn't let users to traverse dropdown options at a time as page reloads each time users hits up or down arrow. But this doesn't happen when I navigate through the combobox options by expanding it with Alt+ down arrow where users need to hit enter key in order to invoke the focused option. But still I am suggesting a button beside the combobox to invoke changes but as the behavior is not so hurting when doing the action expanding the combobox the dev's are not interested in providing a button and saying this bug as by design.
I feel this behavior violates WCAG 3.2.2.
Any thoughts on this will be really helpful and I also can provide this thread as reference for them. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Venkatesh