WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: PPT: alt tag on master slide

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Mon, May 20 2019 5:25PM
Subject: PPT: alt tag on master slide
No previous message | Next message →

Hello! I'm fairly new to accessibility and this is my first time posting. I'm hoping I can get some help with PPT accessibility.

I've been tasked with creating a PPT template that is accessible for courses created by my department.

I'd like to use master slides, but I'd like to have the images contained on them have alt tags. Is this possible? I know that images on master slides in PPT are not read by screen readers, which makes me think that anything that requires an alt-tag needs to be on a regular slide. Is this the case?

There are icons on our master slides, and sometimes logos, and I would like them to have descriptions without having to move them from master slides to regular slides. To accomplish this, do I need a workaround, like an invisible box on the slide the contains the alt-tag?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Kindest regards,

-Tami
————————————
Tami J Tolpa
Graphic Designer
Cultivate Learning at University of Washington

Date: Mon, May 20 2019 5:35PM
Subject: Re: PPT: alt tag on master slide
← Previous message | Next message →

JAWS 2019 does seem to speak alt text from images on master slides with the most recent version of Office. I haven't tested out what version of JAWS And PowerPoint are required -- but I'm happy to hear that it is now supported at least with some combination.

Jon

Jonathan Avila, CPWA
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
703.637.8957 office
Visit us online:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Tami J Tolpa
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:25 PM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] PPT: alt tag on master slide

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hello! I'm fairly new to accessibility and this is my first time posting. I'm hoping I can get some help with PPT accessibility.

I've been tasked with creating a PPT template that is accessible for courses created by my department.

I'd like to use master slides, but I'd like to have the images contained on them have alt tags. Is this possible? I know that images on master slides in PPT are not read by screen readers, which makes me think that anything that requires an alt-tag needs to be on a regular slide. Is this the case?

There are icons on our master slides, and sometimes logos, and I would like them to have descriptions without having to move them from master slides to regular slides. To accomplish this, do I need a workaround, like an invisible box on the slide the contains the alt-tag?

Kindest regards,

-Tami
————————————
Tami J Tolpa
Graphic Designer

Date: Tue, May 21 2019 6:15AM

Do you mean "does the screen reader read the Alt text while in Slide Master view?" Or are you wanting to have screen readers read the Alt text in Slide Layout view or Slide Show view?

I just checked a presentation I'm currently working on and while in Slide Layout view, the images I added in Slide Master view are not seen by the adaptive technology/screen readers/Text-to-Speech tools which is what I want. The images are decorative and used as "bling" and are not essential to the understanding of the content.

I can confirm that using the latest Office Insider for Office 365 subscription, PowerPoint desktop application, JAWS latest version is reading the Alt text on images on the Slide Master but is not reading the Alt text for those images once I switch to Slide Layout or Slide Show view...which is what I want. I don't want those decorative images to be seen by the adaptive technology.

While the latest version of Office 365 subscription PowerPoint desktop application does have the ability to mark an image on a slide as decorative, this is NOT backward compatible. This means that if I mark an image as decorative using "my" version of PowerPoint, if someone is using an earlier version, they will hear "graphic, and the dimensions of the image" My presentation will also be flagged by the accessibility checker as not being accessible because the images are missing Alt text in the earlier version of PowerPoint.

If you don't want the adaptive technology to see the images, the best way to add them is to put them on the Slide Master. You can add Alt Text to them on the Slide Master if you want. I used to do this but how many people go into Slide Master view, especially if they don't see the image on the slide? For me, as a person who uses a screen reader, putting images on the Slide Master that are just bling/filler means that I spend time reading the content and not "looking at the images which often had the Alt text 'decorative' instead of meaningful Alt text. I added the "decorative" designation to my decorative images instead of describing them because I just needed to know they are decorative - I don't need a description of them...which again would take time listening to but not gaining much information. Now I use a combination of putting decorative images on the Slide Master and using the Mark as decorative" check box in the Alt text Pane. Since I distribute my slides as a tagged PDF or as a Word tagged PDF, I don't worry about backward compatibility of the Mark as decorative feature. The Mark as decorative capability makes the images Artifacts when I tag the PowerPoint or Word documents.

Cheers, Karen

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:36 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] PPT: alt tag on master slide

JAWS 2019 does seem to speak alt text from images on master slides with the most recent version of Office. I haven't tested out what version of JAWS And PowerPoint are required -- but I'm happy to hear that it is now supported at least with some combination.

Jon

Jonathan Avila, CPWA
Level Access
703.637.8957 office
Visit us online:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:25 PM
Subject: [WebAIM] PPT: alt tag on master slide

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Kindest regards,

-Tami
————————————
Tami J Tolpa
Graphic Designer

Date: Wed, May 22 2019 12:35PM

Thank you Jonathan and Karen.
What I want is for have a graphic on a master slide, but have its alt tag read when in presentation mode. Impossible?

My reason for keeping it on the master slide is that I don't want the layout to be accidentally altered, but I want the icons on the master slides to be read because they do provide important content.

Thanks!

-Tami
————————————
Tami J Tolpa
Graphic Designer

>
> From: Tami J Tolpa < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Subject: [WebAIM] PPT: alt tag on master slide
> Date: May 20, 2019 at 4:25:28 PM PDT
> To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
>
>
> Hello! I'm fairly new to accessibility and this is my first time posting. I'm hoping I can get some help with PPT accessibility.
>
> I've been tasked with creating a PPT template that is accessible for courses created by my department.
>
> I'd like to use master slides, but I'd like to have the images contained on them have alt tags. Is this possible? I know that images on master slides in PPT are not read by screen readers, which makes me think that anything that requires an alt-tag needs to be on a regular slide. Is this the case?
>
> There are icons on our master slides, and sometimes logos, and I would like them to have descriptions without having to move them from master slides to regular slides. To accomplish this, do I need a workaround, like an invisible box on the slide the contains the alt-tag?
>
> Thanks for any input you can provide.
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> -Tami
> ————————————
> Tami J Tolpa
> Graphic Designer
> Cultivate Learning at University of Washington
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> From: Jonathan Avila < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] PPT: alt tag on master slide
> Date: May 20, 2019 at 4:35:35 PM PDT
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
>
>
> JAWS 2019 does seem to speak alt text from images on master slides with the most recent version of Office. I haven't tested out what version of JAWS And PowerPoint are required -- but I'm happy to hear that it is now supported at least with some combination.
>
> Jon
>
> Jonathan Avila, CPWA
> Chief Accessibility Officer
> Level Access
> = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> 703.637.8957 office
> Visit us online:
> Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
>
>
>
> The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Tami J Tolpa
> Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:25 PM
>
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>
>
> Hello! I'm fairly new to accessibility and this is my first time posting. I'm hoping I can get some help with PPT accessibility.
>
> I've been tasked with creating a PPT template that is accessible for courses created by my department.
>
> I'd like to use master slides, but I'd like to have the images contained on them have alt tags. Is this possible? I know that images on master slides in PPT are not read by screen readers, which makes me think that anything that requires an alt-tag needs to be on a regular slide. Is this the case?
>
> There are icons on our master slides, and sometimes logos, and I would like them to have descriptions without having to move them from master slides to regular slides. To accomplish this, do I need a workaround, like an invisible box on the slide the contains the alt-tag?
>
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> -Tami
> ————————————
> Tami J Tolpa
> Graphic Designer
>
>
>
>
> > > >
>
>
> From: "Karlen Communications" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Date: May 21, 2019 at 5:15:25 AM PDT
> To: "'WebAIM Discussion List'" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
>
>
> Do you mean "does the screen reader read the Alt text while in Slide Master view?" Or are you wanting to have screen readers read the Alt text in Slide Layout view or Slide Show view?
>
> I just checked a presentation I'm currently working on and while in Slide Layout view, the images I added in Slide Master view are not seen by the adaptive technology/screen readers/Text-to-Speech tools which is what I want. The images are decorative and used as "bling" and are not essential to the understanding of the content.
>
> I can confirm that using the latest Office Insider for Office 365 subscription, PowerPoint desktop application, JAWS latest version is reading the Alt text on images on the Slide Master but is not reading the Alt text for those images once I switch to Slide Layout or Slide Show view...which is what I want. I don't want those decorative images to be seen by the adaptive technology.
>
> While the latest version of Office 365 subscription PowerPoint desktop application does have the ability to mark an image on a slide as decorative, this is NOT backward compatible. This means that if I mark an image as decorative using "my" version of PowerPoint, if someone is using an earlier version, they will hear "graphic, and the dimensions of the image" My presentation will also be flagged by the accessibility checker as not being accessible because the images are missing Alt text in the earlier version of PowerPoint.
>
> If you don't want the adaptive technology to see the images, the best way to add them is to put them on the Slide Master. You can add Alt Text to them on the Slide Master if you want. I used to do this but how many people go into Slide Master view, especially if they don't see the image on the slide? For me, as a person who uses a screen reader, putting images on the Slide Master that are just bling/filler means that I spend time reading the content and not "looking at the images which often had the Alt text 'decorative' instead of meaningful Alt text. I added the "decorative" designation to my decorative images instead of describing them because I just needed to know they are decorative - I don't need a description of them...which again would take time listening to but not gaining much information. Now I use a combination of putting decorative images on the Slide Master and using the Mark as decorative" check box in the Alt text Pane. Since I distribute my slides as a tagged PDF or as a Word tagged PDF, I don't worry about backward compatibility of the Mark as decorative feature. The Mark as decorative capability makes the images Artifacts when I tag the PowerPoint or Word documents.
>
> Cheers, Karen
>
>
>
> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
> Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:36 PM
>
> JAWS 2019 does seem to speak alt text from images on master slides with the most recent version of Office. I haven't tested out what version of JAWS And PowerPoint are required -- but I'm happy to hear that it is now supported at least with some combination.
>
> Jon
>
> Jonathan Avila, CPWA
> Level Access
> 703.637.8957 office
> Visit us online:
>
>
>
> The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>
> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Tami J Tolpa
>
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> -Tami
> ————————————
> Tami J Tolpa
> Graphic Designer
>
>
>
>
> > > >
>
>
>
> > > >

Date: Wed, May 22 2019 12:40PM
← Previous message | No next message

Hi Tami, what you are asking for works today with JAWS 2019 and Office 2019. If you place an image with alt text on the master it is announced in presentation mode by JAWS on slides that are derived from that master. It does not work NVDA or Narrator or other screen readers to my knowledge.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila, CPWA
Level Access
703.637.8957 office
Visit us online:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog

Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] PPT: alt tag on master slide

Thank you Jonathan and Karen.
What I want is for have a graphic on a master slide, but have its alt tag read when in presentation mode. Impossible?

My reason for keeping it on the master slide is that I don't want the layout to be accidentally altered, but I want the icons on the master slides to be read because they do provide important content.

Thanks!

-Tami
————————————
Tami J Tolpa
Graphic Designer

>
> From: Tami J Tolpa < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Date: May 20, 2019 at 4:25:28 PM PDT
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> -Tami
> ————————————
> Tami J Tolpa
> Graphic Designer
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> From: Jonathan Avila < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Date: May 20, 2019 at 4:35:35 PM PDT
>
>
>
> Jon
>
> Jonathan Avila, CPWA
> Level Access
> 703.637.8957 office
> Visit us online:
>
>
>
>
> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of
> Tami J Tolpa
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> -Tami
> ————————————
> Tami J Tolpa
> Graphic Designer
>
>
>
>
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
>
>
> From: "Karlen Communications" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Date: May 21, 2019 at 5:15:25 AM PDT
> To: "'WebAIM Discussion List'" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
>
>
> Do you mean "does the screen reader read the Alt text while in Slide Master view?" Or are you wanting to have screen readers read the Alt text in Slide Layout view or Slide Show view?
>
> I just checked a presentation I'm currently working on and while in Slide Layout view, the images I added in Slide Master view are not seen by the adaptive technology/screen readers/Text-to-Speech tools which is what I want. The images are decorative and used as "bling" and are not essential to the understanding of the content.
>
> I can confirm that using the latest Office Insider for Office 365 subscription, PowerPoint desktop application, JAWS latest version is reading the Alt text on images on the Slide Master but is not reading the Alt text for those images once I switch to Slide Layout or Slide Show view...which is what I want. I don't want those decorative images to be seen by the adaptive technology.
>
> While the latest version of Office 365 subscription PowerPoint desktop application does have the ability to mark an image on a slide as decorative, this is NOT backward compatible. This means that if I mark an image as decorative using "my" version of PowerPoint, if someone is using an earlier version, they will hear "graphic, and the dimensions of the image" My presentation will also be flagged by the accessibility checker as not being accessible because the images are missing Alt text in the earlier version of PowerPoint.
>
> If you don't want the adaptive technology to see the images, the best way to add them is to put them on the Slide Master. You can add Alt Text to them on the Slide Master if you want. I used to do this but how many people go into Slide Master view, especially if they don't see the image on the slide? For me, as a person who uses a screen reader, putting images on the Slide Master that are just bling/filler means that I spend time reading the content and not "looking at the images which often had the Alt text 'decorative' instead of meaningful Alt text. I added the "decorative" designation to my decorative images instead of describing them because I just needed to know they are decorative - I don't need a description of them...which again would take time listening to but not gaining much information. Now I use a combination of putting decorative images on the Slide Master and using the Mark as decorative" check box in the Alt text Pane. Since I distribute my slides as a tagged PDF or as a Word tagged PDF, I don't worry about backward compatibility of the Mark as decorative feature. The Mark as decorative capability makes the images Artifacts when I tag the PowerPoint or Word documents.
>
> Cheers, Karen
>
>
>
> Jonathan Avila
> Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:36 PM
>
>
> Jon
>
> Jonathan Avila, CPWA
> Level Access
> 703.637.8957 office
> Visit us online:
>
>
>
>
> Tami J Tolpa
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> -Tami
> ————————————
> Tami J Tolpa
> Graphic Designer
>
>