WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Popup windows and JAWS

for

Date: Oct 26, 2009 11:15AM

"I was just wondering if there are problems associated with using JAWS and popup windows. A client wants us to create an accessibility survey for them and has suggested that it opens in a popup window."

Screen readers in general don't tend to have too much trouble with popup windows these days. There are of course many others out there besides Jaws, including Window Eyes, NVDA, Hal and System Access.

"I am advising that it opens in a normal browser window, as I'm fairly sure this would be better practice, but can't find documentation to back this up."

It seems to be people using screen magnification software that experience more trouble with popup windows than screen reader users. When you're focused on a very specific area of the page, it can be difficult to spot when a whole new window has opened up.

People with cognitive difficulties might also find popup windows troublesome. The sudden appearance of a window might be disorienting for example, or the apparent failure of the browser back button to work may also cause uncertainty.

Regards,
Léonie.

--
Nomensa - humanising technology

Léonie Watson | Director of Accessibility
t. +44 (0)117 929 7333
-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of James Leslie
Sent: 26 October 2009 13:38
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Popup windows and JAWS

Hi,

I was just wondering if there are problems associated with using JAWS and popup windows. A client wants us to create an accessibility survey for them and has suggested that it opens in a popup window. I am advising that it opens in a normal browser window, as I'm fairly sure this would be better practice, but can't find documentation to back this up.

Thanks in advance,

James
--
Transversal Corporation Ltd will be exhibiting at CIPD Annual conference & exhibition 2009 in Manchester between 17 - 19 November, stand 510.