WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

MSc Research - Does making a Website Accessible compromise Search Engine Optimisation?

for

Date: Nov 17, 2009 3:10AM

Dear Webaim List Member,

I am currently completing a Research Dissertation into Web Accessibility and Search Engine Optimisation for an MSc Degree in E-commerce at Swansea Metropolitan University – University of Wales.

The basis of the research is that it is vital to make websites accessible to as wide a range of users as possible, but do “accessibility” design actions conflict with those actions taken to optimise websites so that they reach the top of search engine ranking pages (SERPS)?

I have already written directly to a number of you and attached an MS Word questionnaire - unfortunately, this presented some accessibility issues.

Therefore, I have now placed the questionnaire on SurveyMonkey and have hopefully overcome these issues.

I would be grateful if anyone who has not already received/ replied to my survey could provide input to the project by completing the online questionnaire which can be accessed at the following address:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=S5SSS22U01WZbOj7Lm3mxw_3d_3d

The questionnaire is designed specifically to allow me to reach objective conclusions on the above question and I trust that you will feel able to assist me with this important research.

I would like to thank you in anticipation for your contribution and I would be grateful to receive your completed questionnaire on SurveyMonkey by Friday 20 November.

With Best Regards,
Richard Evans